I miss Marathon

steeleyedkiller

Registered
I really miss playing marathon. Moving through dark wet corners of strange space ships and solving really complicated puzzles. But mostly I miss the great Plot and story line of that game. I really liked the Fusion pistol, yeahhh!

Anyway, anyone know of a cool game that would be ass cool as Marathon but more modern?

marathon was a pretty cool game, till you played it twice; then it seemed like deja vu. :) Have to admit though: I played it through several times! :)

I miss Marathon too. I never really got into Infinity, though. Durandal was always my favourite. Maybe it was because you didn't need an IQ of 200+ to follow the storyline...

Keep an eye on "Wideload" though. Just about everyone who made Marathon is on the team for their new uber-secret project...

marathon rocks!!! in my opinion the first "real" decent mac game. hours apon hours i'd play throught this game on my old powermac.

Viro said:
Doesn't this program require you to have the media files of the original Marathon game?

You can download the demo files... and when playing online, the host sends the map file... so you can play anything!

Viro said:
Doesn't this program require you to have the media files of the original Marathon game?

Yes.... What, are you telling me you DON'T OWN THIS CLASSIC MAC GAME?

Pshaw!

I own Marathon Infinity. :D

Err... No :D. I've only had macs for about a year. I know, I know, but it's never too late to repent.

I miss Marathon too. I like to think I achieved "Vidmaster status", although that's probably not true. I was always the best when we played multi-player though! :D

Halo is full of marathon-stuff. Veverything from the logotype to the grunts screaming "they're everywhere" :)
marathon infinity was my favorite, although marathon 1 scared me the most. very dark. i think bungie has done a great job with halo, even though it is lacking some of the depth the marathon triology had.

Decado said:
Halo is full of marathon-stuff. Veverything from the logotype to the grunts screaming "they're everywhere" :)
marathon infinity was my favorite, although marathon 1 scared me the most. very dark. i think bungie has done a great job with halo, even though it is lacking some of the depth the marathon triology had.

Probably comes from the influence Microsoft had as new owner... If Bungie had done it as a free firm, it may have taken different turns. But it's still a great game.

Aleph One works great as an OpenGL Version of Marathon for OSX. Runs like a charm on my G4

Damrod said:
Probably comes from the influence Microsoft had as new owner... If Bungie had done it as a free firm, it may have taken different turns.
Agreed, seems as if the game was changed to fit into M$ console idea.

There are a few FPS games coming out soon (Halo2 included) that are finally taking FPS's back to more story based games. For a long time the story element has been lacking and it seems like people are just getting tired of empty game after empty game.

So for me it looks like there are two large camps when it comes to FPS games: Story driven single player experience, like Marathon, and killer muliplayer games like Battelfield 1942/Vietnam and others. Halo2 looks like it will cover both of these bases.

Until then, I'm installing aleph one

I miss making level for Maraton... of course, that was before I had and Internet connection and anyone I could share them with. And I don't have them any more because I sold my PowerMac and eventually sold my games because I figured I'd never get another one...

Then I bought this PowerBook last October. :rolleyes:

i made this great (according to me) marathon infinity map that was shaped like the autobots (transformers) spaceship 'the arc'. five years later i still count it as my lifes biggest achivement. :)

the guys at bungie is/was really cool. i had troubles with the registration code of marathon: Durandal, and Alexander Seropian (i think it was him, different mailbox and computer back then so i cant check) personally sent me a new one and made sure i could play the game. there was recently a thread at bungie.net about hot to play Marathon on a modern mac/pc. the halo community is really starting to admire bungies earlier work.

Which is more than fitting, as Marathon laid a lot of Milestones story- and game-wise for Halo IMO.

I played all three and loved all three. Fondly remember the starting tune to M1 then looking forward to lunch hour when the sounds of m2 and infinity would clatter around the design studio for network games. Messing around with the weapon's physics/attributes, flame throwers that doubled as rocket packs so you could fly to the highest recesses of a map, the marathon community it was an absolutely great game. Seeing Halo being demo'd on the mac and nearling crying with joy at its quality. Seeing M$ buy bungie and being saddened that we would never see it on a mac. Bought meself an xbox on Irish release and fell in love with halo (it even had exploding bobs), I still return to halo to this day and will play it once more on legendary before the 11th (release date for H2 in europe), have read the books and so looking forward to Halo 2 it's a far superior experience to Marathon and should really surpass it with the live features.

PS I was very disappointed in Halo on my mac, it ran like cr*p on a dual g5 with a gig of ram and a 9600.

I remember back when I worked for Sykes Enterprises and we had a break room with 6 Powermac 6100's that all had Marathon 2 on them, there was a continual game going on in there.

Back