I miss Marathon

Anyone make an OS X port of Bolo yet? :D
I remember in highschool after school we had bolo tournaments.
We had a computer lab of LC II and LC III macs (and one Quadra 600 - man did I used to drool over it), connected on an appletalk network playing bolo.
http://www.lgm.com/bolo/intro/

AdmiralAK said:
Anyone make an OS X port of Bolo yet? :D
I remember in highschool after school we had bolo tournaments.
We had a computer lab of LC II and LC III macs (and one Quadra 600 - man did I used to drool over it), connected on an appletalk network playing bolo.
http://www.lgm.com/bolo/intro/

Imagine an OpenGLed version of Bolo??? That would rock. I loved the original Bolo.

The closest thing I've seen so far is BZflag, but that doesn't even compare to Bolo.. :D

*Sigh*

I feel that Halo was a terrible disappointment. I've tried, Lord knows I've tried, to like it, but it just ain't what I'd envisioned at the glorious first ever look... maybe it's because I lost all faith in Bungie when they betrayed us... maybe it's because I wanted the next episode in Marathon (Which Halo was so close to being...). Y'know, something with the raw adrenaline of Quake 3 mixed with the storylines that made Marathon such a gem in the first place.

I dunno, it just always seemed... less than what it should have been.

Flanjoo said:
maybe it's because I lost all faith in Bungie when they betrayed us...

Hm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the folks over at Bungie called Bill gates and told him: "You know Bill, I think we all over here at Bungie Studios would feel so much better if we would be part of the M$ Empire. We would like to develop Halo for the XBox anyways, cause coding for Mac and PC sucks arse." :rolleyes:

I don't think that they were really happy when M$ assimilated them. Betrayal is the wrong word here

Excellent news. Back when it was hot, we had the entire office wired with Marathon and after work, a half dozen-plus of us would stay there (practically all night) fraggin' away. It's still the best Mac gaming experience I've ever had.

Halo-wise, loved the first one but was disappointed in the second (both for XBox). Was too short and too much seemed cut out to make the release dateline.

Agree with ya Rand H2 was a dissapointment, but the live experience is up there with the best of em.

Anyway just a note when downloading the trilogy, OS10 users remember to D/L Aleph One as Infinity seems to have problems running, no problems with forge. Haven't tried anvil.

I found an Unreal Tournament port of Marathon a little while back. Quite possibly the best-looking, and best-playing, Marathon experience I've ever had. They completely redid EVERYTHING, from models to physics to maps, while keeping it as true to the original as possible. Unfortunately, they never released anything more than the M1 demo (that I could find, at least) and I haven't seen anymore of it.

I can't remember the name of the group or the mod, but I can look it up... anybody interested?

Oh, and Niallerc: I played Halo at MWSF last year on a G5 and it played great. Perhaps there is some sort of optimization you need to do?

Marathon - what a blast! I haven't played it in AGES! It's all installed on my Mac at work - complete with Aleph engine - but I've been so diverted by Medal of Honor and Call of Duty that it's kinda got lost.

Back