I need a menu bar on my second monitor

rjenkins1

Registered
I have dual displays running as one large screen (OS X 10.4) and I want to duplicate the menu bar on my left screen so I can access it more easily.

I'd also like to be able to position the dock on the right side of my left screen, vertically -- but since the display is treated as one large screen, I do not have the option of docking to the "middle" of the screen.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Under Mac OS X, the Dock will always be on the same monitor as the menubar.

Only one menubar can exist at a time, so having duplicated menubars isn't possible.

There may be 3rd-party hacks/applications that allow this, but I do not know of any offhand.

I wonder if there is a hack that allows the menubar and dock to automatically move to the screen the mouse is active on. It would seem cool if Apple could do it right off the bat though. :p

nixgeek said:
I wonder if there is a hack that allows the menubar and dock to automatically move to the screen the mouse is active on. It would seem cool if Apple could do it right off the bat though. :p

That would be interesting (more for the menu bar than the dock). I'd just love it if I could take my mouse off of the far side of the screen and have it appear on the other monitor (not across the middle). That would certainly speed things up. :D

Under Mac OS X, the Dock will always be on the same monitor as the menubar.

Two monitors, Menu and Dock on different monitor.

Attachments

• Dualmonitors.jpg
    Dualmonitors.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 19
Ah, yes... the Dock will "switch" monitors, if needed, if you set it to the extreme left or right in a side-by-side dual monitor setup, or extreme bottom in a vertical dual monitor setup. It will always be at the extreme left, right or bottom (ie, you can't get it to stick to the left side of the menubar monitor in that pic).

My mistake.

there is a little third party app. that lets you change a number of things that are normally hidden by os x. the app. is called tinker tool, it will allow you to move your dock to pretty much anywhere you want top, bottom, left, right, and you can justify it to the left right or center of any of those. for the menu bar part of things just learn those keyboard SHORT CUTS and you will no longer have a need for such time consuming tasks.(except for those few things for which there is no short cut for.)

Maybe DragThing is what you need? Takes on the role of a launcher, menu bar, Dock, but much more customizable.

Nervous_films said:
there is a little third party app. that lets you change a number of things that are normally hidden by os x. the app. is called tinker tool, it will allow you to move your dock to pretty much anywhere you want top, bottom, left, right, and you can justify it to the left right or center of any of those. for the menu bar part of things just learn those keyboard SHORT CUTS and you will no longer have a need for such time consuming tasks.(except for those few things for which there is no short cut for.)

tinker tool doesn't affect dual screens

Back