I need help!

arolewis

Registered
So I am new to all of this. I have never dived into computers this much so I thought that I would give it a try. I am trying to split my hard drive with mac osx and ubuntu. After a while of trying things and almost killing my computer (i had a back up cuz i knew that that could happen) I did it. or so i think. I am running both systems but my ubuntu seems incomplete. I can not access wireless, and all of the things that i try to tweak dont work. I think that I have done something wrong. Now i am trying to do the same thing over again, by installing ubuntu over itself. As i go through the directions to do this online it says that i need to convert my ISO files into IMG files and i cant do it. This is what brought me to finally posting a help question. I guess i dont really have a question but i cant get anything to work. can someone help me along in this process?

I have installed Ubuntu several times recently. I'm not an expert, but have some experience. If you go the the maintenance menu (that's not what it's called, but where you can change settings,etc.) go to the drivers item, and check for new drivers. It should show your a choice to install a wireless driver, so do that.
You would need to be connected with ethernet to your internet connection first. After installing the wireless driver, you should be OK with that, too.

Exactly what DeltaMac said. The standard "live" installation that is easily available from Ubuntu doesn't always include all the software you need on the disc. Usually after an install, you need to install whatever else is missing. The Alternate installation (which is now a live DVD if I'm not mistaken) includes a lot more options than the standard installation, but for wireless drivers you usually have to go into that option DeltaMac mentioned and have it see if there's a restricted driver (aka non-free driver) that needs to be used, and this does require you to be connected via Ethernet until you can get your wireless chipset enabled by said driver.

Back