I need more ram!!!!

THEMACER

Registered
Well i am taking classes that i need a pc for. Basic stuff like word douments and other stuff. I was thinking about getting a nice cheat labtop for under 300 but then i remeber i have vpc. The problem is i have win 2000 for it and its slower then u can imagine. I thought the best thing to do is add more ram to my g4 to make it speedyer. I am thinking a 512mb stick i already have 576mb. That should boost it enough for vpc to run smooth. I have a g4 400mhz 64mb ddr video card and jag. Can you guys help me out with the cheapest place for mac ram. If there is anything better i can do let me know this is all i can think of.

If you've already got 576 MB, the extra RAM might not help much. Listen to your hard drive while you're running VPC and see if it sounds like the virtual memory is being used excessively. If it is, then a few hundred extra megs of RAM might improve performance a little.

You mentioned that you need to use Word documents. Office for OS X is surprisingly decent, and if this is a college class that you speak of, you may be able to get a pretty big educational discount from your book store. I got it for about 50% off list price!

but i thought more ram would improve overall porformance in every app i open and stuff. Well my class is based on word for pc we learning in the pc os so i cant use mac version. Can i get the we site anyway you guys recommend for best price of 512.

G4 400Mhz is slow to run VPC 5.0. Though you may add more ram to your Mac you cannot see any noticeable increase in performance.

Try running an older version of Windows in VPC. 95/98 will run considerably better in VPC than 2000 will anyday, especially on your machine.

well what will extra ram help with i play MOH:AA alot will it help that much? Please let me know a good website for ram im kinda confused i can get 512mb sticks of ram on ebay made for powermacs g4 for 60 bucks.

Back