I need some help using Windows Media Player on the internet.

MrSasquatch

Registered
I downloaded Windows Media Player and used stuffit expander to open it. If I go to applications and open WMP it'll open a window so it seems to have been installed. What I need is it to work when I'm watching things like tomgreen.com or ebaumsworld or things like that where the video is inside the browser. What do I need to do?

Dump Windows Media Player for the Mac. Download Flip4Mac and install it. (You'll notice that even Microsoft is promoting this as a solution for WMV playback on the Mac.) This will allow you to view WMV video from within QuickTime, and the videos will show embedded in the web pages as they should.

That is if the Webmaster know what there doing. Or if they are run a Windows Server right. I have found a lot of videos and audio that just will not work. Because the webmasters are using a off standard of WMA or WMV known as a AXF file. Then is when you will find the Flip4Windows can't work at all. What makes me so mad is the fact that Flip4Windows crew has the source code for Windows player 10 and 11 in there hands. And they can't make Filp4Windows work with off Standard vers of what is a Windows format. That on windows there player does not hang when it hits one of this feeds. I would say use it for windows formated media file only on your hard drive. Not on the web.

camgangrel21 said:
That is if the Webmaster know what there doing. Or if they are run a Windows Server right. I have found a lot of videos and audio that just will not work. Because the webmasters are using a off standard of WMA or WMV known as a AXF file. Then is when you will find the Flip4Windows can't work at all....
You are confused. The AXF extension is for Apex Software's sketching and area calculation application for mobile computers. In the Windows Media world, there are two extensions, .asx and .asf, which are standard formats AFAIK. The thing is that they are not media formats. They are really pointers to streaming media. They seem to play just fine on my installation of Flip4Mac. This is not to say that all streaming Windows Media works. It does say that the reason they don't work is not due to non-standard formats.

Back