I need to learn Java

I disagree that the OS 9 GUI is better than OS X 10.1

It is definately not as polished as OS 9. for example mounted volumes from Samba shares or NFS shares aren't updated in X.1 they are in 9. You have to dismount the Volume and remount it before change you have made to that drive are seen i.e new files.

I love X.1 but the GUI needs maturing. The major problem with linux is that there isn't a standard GUI and the available GUI's aren't as polished as Mac OS (X or 9) or windows or even CDE.

when I'm doing backend stuff I can still use Java for servlets and JSP (an area where Java really signs is server side stuff).

See this is where I have to say Java is inapproprate. Servers are supposed to be the best they can be. Efficient little beasties that can churn out their stuff as fast as possible. Java is not the obvious choice. Interactive stuff you could argue the case. Server's nahhhhhh.

Originally posted by mrjohns

It is definately not as polished as OS 9. for example mounted volumes from Samba shares or NFS shares aren't updated in X.1 they are in 9. You have to dismount the Volume and remount it before change you have made to that drive are seen i.e new files.

I love X.1 but the GUI needs maturing. The major problem with linux is that there isn't a standard GUI and the available GUI's aren't as polished as Mac OS (X or 9) or windows or even CDE.

See this is where I have to say Java is inapproprate. Servers are supposed to be the best they can be. Efficient little beasties that can churn out their stuff as fast as possible. Java is not the obvious choice. Interactive stuff you could argue the case. Server's nahhhhhh.

You're right, OS X 10.1 needs to mature and has a bunch of quirks, but I'd never go back to Mac OS 9. I can live with the quirks. It never crashes on me!

Server side, I think it depends on th usage. Additionally, if you've got a servlet or JSP that remains resident, it will be compiled into native code. Java servlets also have an advantage over traditional CGI scripts because it doesn't need to spawn new processes all over the place.

Java is obviously not the best for everything, but it does fit well in many places. Some of those places, the decision to go with one language over another is an arbitrary one.

Wow, there's been quite a bit of action in this thread since last week! :D I'm still learning Java and I must admit that it's a nice change from C++. I've been programing in C++ only for a few years now and I just started learning Java last month. The major difference I notice is the ease of use of Java. In Java there are so many build it functions and classes to use and all I have to do is open my book to look for the appropriate one.

I just might not have the right documentation in C++, I only have an introductory book that doesn't talk too much about the standard library ( Deitel & Deitel C++ learning to program). But when I code C++, it is far more complicated to find the appropriate functions or classes than it is in Java.

Back