I need to split my modem with a router?

Elliotjnewman

Registered
I have a USB broadband modem which is currently going into my mac. My flatmate would like to share my connection (he is running a windows PC).

I figured that a usb router would do the trick, but after trudging around all the tottenham court road computer stores here in london I was unable to find one. I was told by the shopkeepers that they stock modems and routers, but no standalone routers, which they claimed are impossible to find.

However, I have managed to do this with my previous flat mate, who owned a router... So does anyone know where I can get hold of one of these things? Seems like they are gold dust!

Another solution would be to share your internet connection via ethernet. It would require your machine to be on whenever the pc needs connectivity, but it's doable at least until you find the router.

Any chance your modem also has an ethernet port, or would your provider change it to an ethernet router?

I don't know if the port on the MDD is autosensing. If it is you just need a regular cable. If not you need a crossover cable (unless the pc is autosensing).

system prefs - sharing - internet - share connection from usb - on ethernet - click on start.

The Mac will become a dhcp server and the pc should take it's ip from the Mac.

Haven't done it that way my self, but give it a try. Connect the two machines via Ethernet, go to the Sharing PreferencePane and click the Internet tab and select Ethernet and turn on Internet Sharing.

Look in the Help Menu for more info.

Also: I don't think a USB hub will work to share a USB device (the modem) between two computers... I could be wrong, though.

Back