I pod submerged in salt water, no power

caiffy

Registered
I have a 30gig Ipod that was recently submerged in salt water(pacific ocean) for about 20 hours. It will not turn on. Is there anything I can do to salvage the Ipod, or is it gone forever?

IMHO: "Gone forever". You COULD salvage the songs, but it would cost you an arm & leg from a recovery company. Buy a new one & save yourself a lot of grief.

Dead, I'm afraid. I've recovered a couple of mobile phones that have been submerged, but they didn't have a hard drive with micron clearances. The salt on the hard disc is the end.

Dry it. Let it dry for at least a week beofre you try to turn it on or to recharge it at all... you might be lucky. I've seen iPods gone thru washing machine and still work - but of course, sea is different as sea water is really bad for electronics. It most likely is gone, but Macs or iPods still amaze me sometimes for how much they can survive.

It's most likely dead. Drying it out might work if it was fresh water you dropped it in, but since it was salt water, the most conductive of waters ;-) , I'd be suprised if none of the board components were fried. Even if you did dry it out, you'd still have salt in it.

I've known of cars that were submerged in the ocean, they were hauled out by a tow truck and taken to the nearest freshwater lake, re submerged and allowed to soak for a period to expel the salt.
After that they get a good drying out period before any attempt to repair them and get them restarted.
So you might try soaking your ipod in distilled water for a period and then allow it to thoroughly dry. After this it might work, and if not you have still lost nothing.

jb.

A bad move was turning it on. Contrary to popular belief, no electronic is damaged from water, unless the element of electricity is added. In other words, it would've been totally fine if you left it off, and kept it moist (so the salt didn't create residue) until you could properly rinse it with distilled water and dry it for a few days. It's probably gone for good, sorry.

Back