I seem to have corrupted my dock...

xaqintosh

Master of Reality
I seem to have corrupted my dock, (I tried to replace the poof by converting an old poof.pdf into a png file for jaguar) and now I can't take stuff out of the dock!

so can someone with jaguar email me a copy of dock.app (in /system/library/coreservices/dock.app)? thanks.

How did you convert it?

Did you just save the PDF as a PNG or did you make it half as wide and make it transparent like it's supposed to be?

PRSop

That's your problem, the old poof.pdf is made as one image, the image is twice as wide as the poof though. on the left is the actual poof images on a black background and on the right is the part of the file 10.1 used as a mask to 'cut out' the poof for display.

Changed in 10.2 is now the dock uses a PNG, cool thing about that is, that there is no need for the extra wide image because you just draw the poof on a clear background and OSX 10.2 does the rest.

In order to convert old PDF's to new PNG's you need a graphics program.

Photoshop instructions:

Open the PDF and select the right half of the file.
Copy
Select the left portion and crop the file down so only the left portion remains.
create a new Channel in the channels palette.
Paste in the peice you copied (the mask)
now command click the new channel to load the selection.
Go back to the layer your poof image is on (make sure it's a layer and not a Background.
Hit Delete.
Save as PNG
Replace
Enjoy

PRSop

thanks, good to know.

(I don't have photoshop, but what the heck! :))

and my dock is now fixed (Thanks Neyo!)

Back