I tried, but I'm too ignorant. HELP

denisemilic

Registered
Woe is me - computer illiterate and having troubles.
I was working in Adobe Photoshop. When I tried to print I got a message - "Error has occurred. End of file." I had no ideas what that ment so I saved my work and restarted computer. When I tried to open my Adobe application, Classic would not open. The message I got was "Classic cannot find Mac OS 9 System on startup disk to use. You may need to install Mac OS 9.1 or later...." Fine! Been there done that. I found my disk iMac Mac OS 9 Install. When I clicked on installer it says the disk is only readable not writable. Now I'm lost.

Less than a year ago I upgraded from Mac OS version 10.1.2 to Tiger. I took my computer in to have this done.

Questions:
Why is disk not writable?
Do I need 9.1 for Tiger?
Is Classic on Tiger Install disk or is it separate?
Where would I get a OS 9.1? (can I download on compture)

WHAT DO I DO?

Please use very simple computer language.

'Why is disk not writable?' - Was the (iMac [Eary 2001] or iMac [Summer 2001]) 'MacOS 9 Install' disc inserted into the iMac (running MacOS X) or was the iMac booted from the 'MacOS 9 Install' disc? - when the 'disk not writable' message was displayed?
When you double click on the hard disk drive's icon (upper right on the 'Desktop', below the menu bar) is a 'System Folder' present?, If so, does it contain a 'Finder' and 'System' file? 'Control Panels' and 'Extensions' folders - with files?

'Do I need 9.1 for Tiger?' - no, since System 9.2.2 must be used with Panther (MacOS X 10.3.x) and Tiger (MacOS X 10.4.x). You may install System 9.1; but, must update to 9.2.2 - as is explained below.

'Is Classic on Tiger Install disk or is it separate?' - No form of System 9.x (including 'Classic') installation is provided on the 'Tiger Installation DVD' or CD's. The user must have separately a System 9.x installation CD, to install such.

'Where would I get a OS 9.1? (can I download on computer)' - One example, of where to purchase System 9.1 is 'amazon'.

'WHAT DO I DO?' - Once System 9.1 is installed, either from the iMac's or purchased MacOS 9 disc, install '9.2.1' and then '9.2.2'.

Thanks Barhar. I started my computer on the install disk. Turns out it was version 9.2.2. I'm up and running again.

'till the next brain cramp - Denise

Back