I want a mac and I will trade my PC for one

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosman2001

Registered
I have a AMD 500mhz custom PC that I want to trade for any kind of mac. I would like an imac, but anything will do. Here are the features.

AMD 500mhz processor
256 133mhz memory
10 gb HD
8X Plextor Burner
Zip drive
10/100 NIC
56K Modem
1.44 floppy
12X DVD ROM
mouse/keyboard
ATX case and Motherboard (shuttle)
WindowsXP or Win2000 or even BeOS 5.03

I currently have this for sale for $400, so anything close to this range would be cool. This is a great computer and its capable of any tasks.

Please specify which OS version is installed and if it is capable of running OS X.

Originally posted by cosman2001
AMD 500mhz processor

I currently have this for sale for $400, so anything close to this range would be cool. This is a great computer and its capable of any tasks.

I wouldn't suggest running XP on a 500mhz, unless you like to wait 10 years for your program (solitare) to load. Pretty much the same with Win2k.

I might know someone who'd give you $200, maybe for it. Not really worth much more though, sorry.

Originally posted by mdnky

I wouldn't suggest running XP on a 500mhz, unless you like to wait 10 years for your program (solitare) to load. Pretty much the same with Win2k.

I might know someone who'd give you $200, maybe for it. Not really worth much more though, sorry.

Actually, XP runs beautifully on a 500MHz x86 processor. A lot better than OS X runs on a 500MHz G3, that's for sure.

It may not take 10 years to open Chess in OS X but it certainly takes more than 10 "bounces." :p

Ok, I'll admit, my claims are unsubstantiated, but so are yours concerning XP.

We have Windows XP running on a 450MHz Dell at work with only 128MB and it runs a lot faster than you would possibly think. I thought it would be slow as molasses, but it was pretty dang speedy, even with multiple apps open (Photoshop 7, Dreamweaver 4, and Adobe Pagemaker are the ones used alot of the time).

And I have Windows 2000 running on a 350MHz system at work, it works pretty snappy also considering how slow you may think it is... of course, it's not used for much, but when it does it, it's pretty good.

- Casey

Originally posted by azosx

Actually, XP runs beautifully on a 500MHz x86 processor. A lot better than OS X runs on a 500MHz G3, that's for sure.

It may not take 10 years to open Chess in OS X but it certainly takes more than 10 "bounces." :p

Ok, I'll admit, my claims are unsubstantiated, but so are yours concerning XP.

On the contrary:

I have to run XP on three machines, all Dells. A 866 PIII (256mb SDRAM) and a 1.4 P4 (256md SDRAM) @ work, and my father has a 1.6 P4 (384mb SD RAM). The 866 has major issues with more than 1 intensive program open at same time (Photoshop 7, Dreamweaver MX, or Fireworks MX). The 1.4 P4 does alright, but we wished we never upgraded from ME to XP. Should've loaded 98. The 1.6 P4 is okay, but I would have expected a lot more speed out of it. It has serious issues loading programs and hangs for brief periods.

As for X on the G3 300...I have very few problems. I have run Photoshop 6, Quark, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver UltraDev & Fireworks 3 with no major problems under classic. As for the spped, I'll admit it ain't the best but I would say it is a he|| of a lot more stable than the 866 PIII on XP with the same programs. Besides, if I'm going to program or design I'll simply hold the option key at boot for OS 9.2.

Lets see, G3 300 was around 1998...so go get a PII 300 or so and try XP on it. Won't run, and if it does manage to load you might be lucky enough to get solitaire to work...BIG MAYBE.

I just posted yet another reply with my PII 266 mhz laptop running XP. I admit I have turned all the resource consuming features (colors, looks like win2k) off to make it faster. It runs great, bit slow on booting up, but much faster when hibernating. Oh and I only have 192 MB Ram too. I also watch divx movies on it all the time. You said your dell machines were slow, try a fresh format and install. 98,ME just plain sucks and upgrading from a piece only gave you a color coded piece. So the whole point is 500 mhz is plenty, you've just been brain washed by intel and microshaft that bigger is better and you should keep upgrading. After all how else would they stay in business.

corey

So the whole point is 500 mhz is plenty, you've just been brain washed by intel and microshaft that bigger is better and you should keep upgrading. After all how else would they stay in business.

I like to use my whole computer, and that includes having color and a desktop image. I never said bigger is better, just that all those wintels I have to use run like sh**. Plain and simple. I have an old 100mhz pentium in the basement with Darwin X86 running perfectly fine on it, as long as you don't run a GUI with it, acceptable for it age. Running XP on a 1.6 and having IE freeze all the time is a joke...A BAD ONE.

I bought a computer to work on, and expect it to work, not crash. Try running Photoshop under XP on that computer. Remember, time is money to some people.

I have a AMD 500mhz custom PC that I want to trade for any kind of mac. I would like an imac, but anything will do. Here are the features.

AMD 500mhz processor
256 133mhz memory
10 gb HD
8X Plextor Burner
Zip drive
10/100 NIC
56K Modem
1.44 floppy
12X DVD ROM
mouse/keyboard
ATX case and Motherboard (shuttle)

Please specify which OS version is installed and if it is capable of running OS X.

I REALLY want a Jaguar and will trade my Yugo for it. Any takers?

Sorry, I hate sarcastic replies but I just could not hold back.:D

I bought a computer to work on, and expect it to work, not crash. Try running Photoshop under XP on that computer. Remember, time is money to some people.
Hmm... lets see... Photoshop 7, Adobe PageMaker 6, and IE are almost ALWAYS open on that 450MHz Dell at work... It runs PRETTY DAMN FAST!

IMO... Don't judge unless you've seen it in action. Of course, it's not a superspeedy 2.56GHz P4 sum-bitch, but for what it does, it gets its job done.

Edit: It also runs faster than the 1.0 GHz Athlon system that my other boss uses... custom PC...

so do people actualy do this? i got a i920 8gb of RAM 2 x 320gb HD nvidia 7600 gt video card, i also got a mac pro 1.8Ghz 512 ram i would like not a laptop but somehting that can run Logic 10

definity, that last post was made on July 29th, 2002. 9 years ago... (welcome on board) :)

On the contrary:

I have to run XP on three machines, all Dells. A 866 PIII (256mb SDRAM) and a 1.4 P4 (256md SDRAM) @ work, and my father has a 1.6 P4 (384mb SD RAM). The 866 has major issues with more than 1 intensive program open at same time (Photoshop 7, Dreamweaver MX, or Fireworks MX). The 1.4 P4 does alright, but we wished we never upgraded from ME to XP. Should've loaded 98. The 1.6 P4 is okay, but I would have expected a lot more speed out of it. It has serious issues loading programs and hangs for brief periods.

As for X on the G3 300...I have very few problems. I have run Photoshop 6, Quark, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver UltraDev & Fireworks 3 with no major problems under classic. As for the spped, I'll admit it ain't the best but I would say it is a he|| of a lot more stable than the 866 PIII on XP with the same programs. Besides, if I'm going to program or design I'll simply hold the option key at boot for OS 9.2.

Lets see, G3 300 was around 1998...so go get a PII 300 or so and try XP on it. Won't run, and if it does manage to load you might be lucky enough to get solitaire to work...BIG MAYBE.

Actually i have ran Windows XP on a 1995 Packard Bell 266MHz Pentium 1 and only 64MB RAM and a 6GB Hard Drive it loaded pretty fast took its sweet time to open any program and it was no use on Internet but i was vary usable Windows 2000 has always been the better choice over XP in situations like this. Windows ME ran real good on it nice and fast.

Good for you Leo. But the point cosman2001 had in 2002 was that he wanted to get rid of his PC and get a Mac instead. Well, I would like to guess he's got his PC sold since his posts in this thread, and any how great I can make XP run on vintage hardware are not really relevant to this vintage, very much out of date classifieds ad, so I think we can close this thread.
For anyone wanting to sell their PC and to get a Mac, please open a new thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back