I want a Newton!

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Anyone have a Newton they want to sell? After seeing a few movies on its handwriting recognition, I think I want one! :D

Just wondering though, how do you guys cope with the outdated software/ports that the Newton requires? Is there any third-party software that is being updated that can accomodate USB/FireWire connections or something? Or do you just have old Macs to use?

The newton rocks and I LOVE IT!
It is one great machine :D

I bought mine on ebay :)

A 120 is about $50
a 130 about $100 ( I think)
and a 200 or 2100 about $300 (but worth every penny :D)

Admiral

I have a Newton 130 with all the works I'm thinking about selling. I love it, but I got scammed (d'oh!) and am now desperately in need of money.

Specs:
*Newton MP 130
*Newton Keyboard
*Newton Modem
*2MB Newton Flash Card
*Leather Newton Case
*Extra Newton 2100 Stylus
*Serial Cable to connect to your mac
*Newton Connection Utilities on CD

Anyway, if anyone wants it, let me know.

Originally posted by simX

Just wondering though, how do you guys cope with the outdated software/ports that the Newton requires? Is there any third-party software that is being updated that can accomodate USB/FireWire connections or something? Or do you just have old Macs to use?

The Newton supports LocalTalk, so a LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge works. I think the Connection Kit and the Newton Developer Tools will run in Classic OK.

Also, Farallon made some PCMCIA Ethernet cards and drivers for Newton. You may still be able to track one of these down. I have 2 of them but am unwilling to part with them. :D You'd want a Newton 2000 or 2100 to use this, since those models have 2 PCMCIA slots.

You can choose connect via Modem, Printer port, and Appletalk. Appletalk is the fastest, though I found it easier to simply use printer port. Another cool feature of Appletalk is that you log in via file sharing and can browse through shared folders on the machines. I've never used an ethernet card on mine, though I guess that would be the preferred way to go.

I'd agree with crarko on the newton 2100... They have bigger screens, faster handwriting recognition, and can even play quicktime movies. The only issue with 2100's is they're even bigger than 1xx's. So that's where you decide if you want size or power. But since you're buying a big old newton anyway...

Since I have a quicksilver and thus no serial ports, I use an old 6100/66 to connect to my newton. Works great.

The only thing I am saddened about with my newton is that it doesnt support the IrComm protocol (used by most devices today) and thus cant do infrared dial up with my cell phone :(

I which someone would do that since I dont like to
1) Take up a PCMCIA for the modem
2) carry cables around :p

I have a Newton MP 2000 upgraded to a 2100. I use a keyspan PDA adapter cable to connect it to my mac via USB in Mac OS 9.2.2. Haven't tried to connect in classic using OS X but some say it will work. There are currently a lot of Newtons available on ebay for $150 as several companies are phasing them out of service. Yes, it's too large to fit in your pocket, but for pure power it's years ahead of palm and pocket PC. Hand writing recognition is still amazing. Several companies still sell and support some software and there are large repositories of free programs out there. http://www.unna.org is a good one if my memory is correct. I have a palm but even with a keyboard it's a toy compared to my newton. Oh and yes you can also connect by ethernet but I haven't gotten around to that yet. Lots of good user groups online trying to keep the faithful green.

Addendum: As an example of the continued activity within the Newton community, today (actually yesterday I didn't know it was so late) a plug in was released (for free) which allows you to download MP3 songs into the newton. Using a second program (also free) you can play these songs. Ok so it's a very large, very expensive MP3 player with poor speakers, but what an amazing feat when you think about it. Apple stopped production of the Newton 5 years ago, long before MP3 was a household word (or whatever). A couple of programmers put together the plug ins. Even if you don't have a newton, you should check out the great site they put together at: http://www.pixell.net/doppler/newton/
Steve Jobs, take note.
-Chet

Back