i want a short password

andygodwin

Registered
hi all
i've set my laptop up to be ultra secure, anyone stealing it, even if its in sleep mode wont be able to access anything interesting.
my keychain is locked so that i have to type the password regularly to access sites / mail/ etc, but i want to type a short one letter password, the keychain always demands an 8 character password as minimum.
how can i override this?

A

Well a 1 character password will kind of waste all the effort of securing everything. If anyone tried a brute force attack (basically randomly trying password, the simplest cryptographic attack) they will open everything up in microseconds.

I did look around but found only one mention of someone with a one character keychain pass and it was from an old discussion (2007). I would recommend either having no password (which is pretty much what a 1 char password is) or a proper 8 char one. Once you get used to it you will type those 8 chars amazingly quickly!

thanks for the quick reply but i disagree.
sure anyone with some hacking "skills" and one of those programs that automatically sequences all characters can crack it pretty easily, but a petty thief who nicks from cars or bags at airports etc etc will open it up thinking 'i might find some banking details or names and addresses" will be presented with enter your keychain PW.
they may try 'password' or 'arsenal' then give up and sell it to someone who'll wipe the drive..

A

Fair enough, the worry is though that these days you need no skills to get these programs. :)

Anyway, as I said I looked around and found no way to do what you desire.

Back