i want to format an imac i bought

joker12

Registered
its a g4 running osx 4.1 i think, how do i save drivers for hardware etc? not familiar with macs but good with windows (as if that matters here)

Format? As in Install/re-install the OS or wipe clean & start from scratch?

In any of the above cases, you'll need the original CD's or DVD that came with the Mac or a retail version of the OS you desire. Currently, Mac is up to OS 10.5.6

I'm assuming you meant OS 10.4.1 in your question. Therefore you need to start with 10.4 & upgrade, thru Apple to 10.4.11 or buy OS 10.5 and update to 10.5.6

Please clarify your intentions.

i bought the imac used, the owner didnt have the original disks, he created an account for me (admin account) i cant figure out how to remove his account (his name from the startup screen etc) so i figured maybe to erase the disk an reinstall an os might be easier (i have an older osx disk or i can use one from my moms imac which is about the same) he added some hardware (airport wireless, etc) and i dont know how to save the drivers or whatever they are called in a mac environment

so i guess what i need to know is if i format the disk can i get the hardware support AFTER the install??

new to macs, thats why i grabbed this one, to learn

thanks for your earlier response

If he created an Admin account for you, he should have had the disks to allow him to do that.

Unlike PCs, the drivers for the MAC stuff--its Airport, et cetera--come with the OS and updates.

--J.D.

lets assume i wont be getting the disks from him, can i use the disks from another imac (like i said my mom has them) the differences are the one i have has a dvd burner and hers doesnt, the airport card and her harddrive is 20 gigs smaller

what i want to avoid is doing a format and ending up with a paperweight...

You will not. Nevertheless, understand that when you buy a used Mac without the disks you run the risk of buying a stolen computer. He should have given you the password for the computer--not "create an Administrator account for me."

Why would he not give you that password; it is not his computer anymore?

The answer to your question is "no" if the disk is a "grey" disk and it is not from the same model. You are free to try it, of course. If that does not work, your only options are to purchase a retail disk, hunt down your "friend" and force him to cough up the disks that came with the computer--I find a cattle-prod most efficacious--or perhaps get really, really lucky getting one from Apple or an on-line dealer. That is the "grey disk." Retail disks for OS X are easy to find, particularly for the lower OS like 10.4 which is a fine and wonderful thing.

That is the bad news.

The good news is that you will not have a paperweight. At worse, you can clone the drive . . . wipe it . . . install a System . . . set it properly . . . then pull over your data. Do not merely "transfer accounts"--you may recreate the same problem.

At best, with a proper OS disk, you may be able to change the passwords, remove superfluous accounts, et cetera. There are threads on how to do that on this site--it is pretty easy.

Regarding drivers, if you have "third-party" things like a printer, those should come with the printer, obviously, or most companies now have them on line or will get them for you. In fact, many Mac users "save space" not loading all of the printer drivers available. They can always get them later, and they are often updated.

Regarding your airport card, it depends on the maker. If it is Apple--no problemo. Third party should have drivers available on their Web pages. I had one for my Widdle Old Pismo, and their maker not only had that but the instructions on how to make sure the Mac recognized it.

--J.D.

Last edited:
i got it from a friend of my moms that bought the newest imac, i have known him better than 20 years..he is just not organized and i might get them from him, he is looking but i wont wait a few months.....he tried to get his banking info off of it with help from phone support (all his personal stuff was in the trash, i deleted without looking..........) apple support was the one that helped him set it up so he was comfortable letting it go with his stuff on it

just googled the price of a mac os, not to bad :)

Exactly, and I am not impugning your friend. Just understand that it is a problem.

You are correct, with OS 10.6 on the horizon and 10.5.6 moving along, 10.4 can be gotten for quite cheap. Just make sure you get a RETAIL version. The best thing--if you can do it--is go to the place and make sure your computer boots on the disk. The LAST thing you need is to pay for a disk that does not actually work for your computer! :)

--J.D.

okay i have made tons of progress, on the net, found the filevault, no password :) my last task is i want to get rid of the original owners name from the startup screen.....can this be done??

problem with keyboard resolved...i mistakenly thought the bluetooth was internal (called the guy who sold it to me and he gave me usb thingy)

my wife fixed the airport thingy, wasnt compatible to our router security

my questions have been answered and from here it looks easy, thanks for all the help and at some point i may be able to offer some assistance of my own

i was able to change the computer name under system preferences and then clicked on sharing, it removed the original owners name from the startup thingy

Back