I want to hear from you

Originally posted by Dradts
Mac Browsers aren't behind PC browsers. For example, Internet Explorer for mac always had a download manager. PC version of IE didn't.

HTML pages sometimes look different on mac browsers, thats true. But the cause for that is, that html is not standardized enough.

Well, that's just rubbish. Don't tell me that IE 5.1 for MacOS X is a better browser than IE 6 for Windows.

IE 5.1 lacks good java-support (ever tried yahoo games?), certificate support, autocomplete in forms, autoremembering of passwords, cookie control/blocking, incorporated WIndows Media Player plugin, Shockwave plugin, a good html rendering (some pages are just really ugly in 5.1), speed etc. etc.

The list just goes on and on. I am sorry to say it, but IE 5.1, being the best browser for the Mac currently, is far behind IE 6 on PC.

But I am sure Microsoft is working on an update right now, so these things will be straigthened out!

Originally posted by Lazarus18
But my main problem is speed. I have a W2K box with 1/14th the RAM of my Mac, an older processor, etc. etc. They share the same cable modem and pages load appreciably faster with IE for Windows than they do on any browser on the Mac.

I totally agree with you! I have aPentiumII 300MHz Win2k machine running right next to my iBook 500MHz G3 with 10.1.

IE 6.0 on the windows machine renders and loads pages SO much faster, it's not even funny. I feel like crap walking in mud when moving over to IE 5.1 in MacOS X 10.1.

This should be Microsoft's top priority in the next months ahead; to get IE for Mac up to the level of speed and features IE 6 for Windows is today!

Originally posted by sithious

yeah, ie 5 will show whatever flash sites omniweb shows too, but try http://www.beatles.com or http://www.gorillaz.com ... neither of them work in omniweb or ie ... something to do with showckwave/flash 5 ...

No... this is not a flash problem. Both of these sites use DIRECTOR... director is a completely different plug in than flash.

Go to gorillaz.com and watch the intro. It's flash. ALL FLASH works fine in IE. After the intro, it becomes director. Probably you'll see "plugin missing" on OS X.

Every flash site works perfectly in IE, minus some database intensive flash sites. Flash in explorer executes connections to database SLOW AS SHIT, and netscape ROCKS with Flash.

Here is the official consumer chart, by yours truly.

Netscape
------------
Pros: Flash linkage / connectivity works as fast as on a PC. Slightly better Flash experience.
Cons: Piece of crap, bloatware, slow as hell with 6.2

IE
-----
Pros: Best browser today. Renders well, everything works (all javascript, flash, most java applets)
Cons: Flash connectivity, even browser connectivity sucks ass. NO UNDO BUTTON??? No inherent java support. Micro$haft.

Omniweb
------------
Pros: Not shitty netscape and not evil Microsoft. Everything renders beautifully. All the extra controls, OS X GUI design, stability, etc.
Cons: However FLASH does NOT work very well, even in the new sneaky peeks of 4.1. Javascript is still buggy. (Hotmail doesn't work.) Java applets? I don't know....

Ok... Omniweb just needs to kill its Cons. Microsoft won't. They focus on the PC browser. Netscape never will we know that.

So if Omniweb can make flash work as well as Explorer, and as fast as Netscape, and fix all javascript problems, and use full Java 2 for Applets......

Then it WILL be the best browser there is, period.

IT WILL have succeeded in winning the biggest Internet war ever... the browser war.

I am SO HOPING that when 4.1 comes out, that flash will always work on every flash site, that javascript works all the time, and java applets too. If these fail, I will always have to resort to IE to view pages, especially flash. (Java applets least important.) Really they just need flash and javascript.

If they can just do this, they will be the best browser.

As for now, hotmail doesn't work in the sneaky peeks, and many flash sites do not load, even though they are supposedly using full flash 5.

Try my tetris game: www.flashgods.com/portfolio/games/tetris
The controls don't work in Omniweb Flash 5. IE is fine.

Try hotmail... there's bugs and errors in Omniweb javascript. IE is fine.

Just these two things........ and omniweb will be the king..... the only browser worth having.

Only web designers like me will keep IE and Netscape just for compatability testing.

-solrac-

Browsers for the Mac aren't always behind. IE for Mac is more comfortable than the Windows version (which just kicked out all Netscape plug-ins !). So Apple is actually ahead there. Also you've got a great many alternatives for the Mac. ICab and OmniWeb are sweet although they're not yet finished. It wd seem to me that the browser front is what has to worry us the least.
Competition is stiff and there is IMO no need for Apple to get involved.
What feature would you like to see on the Mac then ?

After getting my Mac at home and playing with OS X all weekend and then getting back to my NT workstation at work yestersday, I thought of some more issues between IE Windows and Mac. Of course IE for Windows is much faster.

- IE Mac has no Full Screen function, which I actually do use sometimes. VNC for OS X has that function, so they can do it.

- Address Auto Complete is MUCH slower on the Mac version. In Windows it's almost instant

- I would like the form auto complete to be like on Windows, where you start entering text in a form field and it drops down the menu with choices you have entered before, and you can hit DEL on one to erase it from the history.

- History for Address Auto Complete is either buggy, or I don't understand it. It seem to sometimes, maybe after closing the browser, totally lose the history, so nothing completes. Or it's so slow that it takes too long

- no searchable history, AFAIK - very useful

I'm sure Apple will never make a browser. Imagine how pissed MS would be?

MS: "We'll continue to make Office for the Mac, as well as a few other apps, as long as you continue to bundle IE with you operating systems, and don't introduce your own browser as competition."

Apple: "Uhh...OK."

Back