I want to start a software company

Originally posted by edX
which brings me to another pet peeve - developers who release beta software and then expect everybody to pay for it before they'll bother to put in the effort to work more. betas are expected to be works in progress and nobody should be charging for them. developers should be happy that others are helping them to work on their app with them by providing feedback. but too many beginning developers are too caught up in making an instant buck or having their ego massaged, that they won't even support their betas, much less put in more efforts to make them a final release. to them beta means testing whether someone will pay or not.

This is VERY VERY true. And I can tell you this is not only true for software. This is true everywhere where there is technology. A similar syndrom is the NIH (not invented here) syndrom. It's a killer for companies working in technologies. With these syndroms they become dinosaures if they are big enough to continues to make money... and they finally disappear.

The best thing you can do is start writing software YOU want to use. If you write an app that you end up using everyday, chances are someone else will want to use it everyday. But write it expecting to make no money from it. Put up a paypal account and accept donations. Write some more apps and have fun.

btw WhiteSaint, judging from your website, you sorely need Trips help with graphics.

Did you think about asking people that have money about what is missing in the software offering ? Or what are the drawbacks of the current software ? Maybe you'll find a niche to fill !

Back