I wish...

knighthawk

Registered
two things for 10.1...

1) A minimum access user like in OS9 that would only have access to their HOME folder and the applications. OSX works fine as it is for a single disk system, but if you have a multiple disk system everything is deletable on the non-system disks unless you go through and chmod everything.

2) WindowShade. I MISS MY WINDOWSHADE. I am so used to hiding windows in Photoshop with this. This is perhaps the most annoying issue for me with Classic Apps.

Ok, I feel better now.

I have absolutly know idea why Apple would not include window shading in OSX. May jobs wanted to make everyone look at his cool genie effect. For people coming to OSX via UNIX and for OS9 users, it is a sorely missed feature.

-jdog

I was wondering about that.
I hate the fact that now it looks more like windows, when you minimize a window it goes on the dock. I hate that because it's such a waste of space and in the end unless you move the curson over the minimized view on the dock you dont know what it is!

I want windowshade baaaaaaack :)

Admiral

I hate having to look at all the low level system files on my extra partitions on OS X, same with looking at an OS X disk in OS 9. Why aren't these invisible?

While I suppose it would be nice to add windowshading for those folks that like it personally I think it is the most annoying feature I've ever seen. The main reason I waited until OSX was out to buy my Mac (my first one BTW) was that I found the windowshading feature so annoying. When I minimize a window I want it to *get out of the way* rather than sit there taking up space in the middle of the screen. Whether it minimizes to an icon near the edge of the screen or to the dock doesn't matter to me but I want it out of the way so I can see whatever's underneath.

BTW one of the nicest features of OSX is command-h which makes all windows of a particular app disappear. I loved that feature in NeXTStep and I am happy to see that Apple kept it.

BTW one of the nicest features of OSX is command-h which makes all windows of a particular app disappear. I loved that feature in NeXTStep and I am happy to see that Apple kept it.

Well, to give credit where it's due, I think app hiding was implemented in Switcher, before Jobs even left Apple to form NeXT. It didn't have a keyboard command though.

The reason I brought up this window shade thing is that I work in Photoshop about 33% of the time that I am in front of a mac. Many times I am working with a few very large files, or lots of little files.

The main problem right now is that when I want to hide one of the Photoshop windows, I can't. I cannot use the dock. I cannot use windowshade. Once Photoshop becomes OS X native, it will not be much of a problem.

As far as it being annoying, it has always been an option that you can turn off in the Appearance Control Panel. In fact, factory settings leave it off. Originally Window Shade was written by a shareware programmer (cannot remember who), and the idea was so widely accepted that it was added into the core OS.

I miss my windowshade.

Back