I wonder where these Apple terms came from.

I've always understood that the Macintosh name came about because it was a type of apple, and obviously sounded right too.

The Newton is a variety of apple, too.... which makes one wonder whether there was ever a plan to use the names of various apples.

I don't think we've ever seen an Apple Pippin - yet....

Originally posted by mac-blog
I think it is funny that the real internet apps don't have an "i" at the beginning of their names (Mail, Safari and Sherlock).

But they all have an i in the name...

MaIl , SafarI and Sherlock (private i) :D

Zeff Wheelock

Originally posted by Decado
Macintosh is both an apple-brand (as in apples you can digest) and got the MAC in it (Mouse Activated Computer).

Actually, it is McIntosh that is the digestable fruit and Macintosh is the silcon based number cruncher.
Zeff Wheelock

Originally posted by porteous

The Newton is a variety of apple, too.... which makes one wonder whether there was ever a plan to use the names of various apples.

No, the Newton is not a variety of apple, at least none that I am aware of. The Newton is named for Isaac Newton, the great English scientist and mathematician. The Newton/apple connection is according to legion that an apple fell on Newton's head which motivated him to develop his theory of gravitation. My understanding is that the apple hit Newton when he was 13, but that he developed his universal theory of gravitation when he was 23. But, I digress.

The original Apple logo-thing (or favorite image), was of a young newton sitting with is back to a tree. i believe i saw it in john sculleys autobiography.

Originally posted by MisterMe
"Macintosh" was the internal code name for Apple's inexpensive GUI-based computer during its development. At the time, Apple used the names of apple varieties for its internal code names. By the time the new computer was ready for sale, the code name had already been widely publicized. Apple kept the code name as the brand for the shipping product.

I wonder how often this actualy does occur? Most recently the code name for 10.2 seemed to stick fairly quickly. :D

If anybody else is interested in the history of the apple logo I uploaded a few pages that I saved quite a while ago. It spans from the original apple logo to the current rounded, solid color apple logo.

http://www.alltel.net/~january/applelogo/data/index.html

Decado, you're correct. the original apple logo looked like this....
1_2.jpg

Hhmmm, imagine the Golden Delicious ("Thirtieth Anniversary Mac"), or the Granny Smith ("This mean-green-computing-machine is so easy to understand that even your granny can use it out-of-the-box!"), or the Pink Lady ("Most sexy computer ever!"), or the Fuji, the Elstar, or ... well, you get the idea! :p

And why is it that the real apple fruit type name is " Mackintosh" with a K an the computer is caled Macintosh without the K?

actually spelled as it is, the word "Macintosh" should be read as
"maSintosh" or something like that.....

Originally posted by f_h_petrone
And why is it that the real apple fruit type name is " Mackintosh" with a K an the computer is caled Macintosh without the K?

Actually:

McIntosh = Fruit
Mackintosh = Lightweight jacket
Macintosh = Computer

Originally posted by f_h_petrone

Two general theories on why Macintosh vs McIntosh (the fruit).

1. Raskin can't spell. He came up with the name, but misspelled it on all early memo's etc and the misspelling "took".

2. Avoiding trademark issues with the hifi company McIntosh (good stuff btw).

From way back, I do seem to remember talk of 2. Perhaps its a combination of the two (i.e. a fortuante accident).

I know not of the fruit with a K (as in MackIntosh). Also, as for pronunciation, here in the states, it's most definitely Macintosh with a hard K sound. Similar to the word macaroni (the noodle).

Back