I would like to delve into Linux

nb3004

Postmaster General
i have two reasons, one is that i find it interesting and something that is worth knowing

two i have a project for school where i cant find any software for it and i know there is for linux

so my question is what would you tell someone who was going to try and install linux on their machine(from partitioning to loading to, booting in Linux, i plan on downloading yellow dog over the long weekend and going from there. Please dont hesitate with any advice no matter how simplistic, and yes i am going to back-up my drive before i load it;)
thanks in advance:D

oh yeah i have a 12 inch powerbook running 10.2.8 with 384mb of ram (meaning to get more), vga display(will that be a problem?), and airport extreme (since 802.11G is compatible could i use an 802.11B usb connector for internet access?)

I was thinking about installing YDL
on an empty partition on my iBook.
My only problem is this: i don't know
how to burn the images to disk to make install cd(s).

Anyone know how to do that?

Yellow Dog Linux, Mandrake PPC version, FreeBSD, Suse, Debian, Gentoo, MkLinux or Mac OS X 10.2 + X11 (Panther later on ;) ) :D

My bet would be on YDL and Mandrake but first of all on OS X + X11 :p

my suggestion is that you go get the source code for you linux app and compile it for your computer, then run it in apples X11. That has to be easier than installing Linux, (believe me i've tried, its no walk in the park).
That was my experience with Yellow Dog, which was build for the Mac, so i can't imagine mandrake would be any easier.
And OH MY GOD, why does the new forum UI look like WINDOWS XP!?

g/re/p said:

What are you using to burn the install disks?

toast? disk copy?

darwin should be just fine for installing your Linux App..

however.. if you insist on a Linux Distro i would go mandrake, its much easier then YDL to install, probably the easiest on the PPC platform, Mandrake has a very user friendly GUI. Although YDL is very easy itsself.. just a bit more text based.

The process is pretty straight forward for many linux distros.. (gentoo linx is one major excption, its much more like BSD when it comes to installing - very cool distro btw)

On a new (some g3's and up) mac, use Yaboot, (any older use xboot) as your boot loader. Set your partition table, format your partitions, install the Kernel and any software packages or what not you want/need.. set up networking, root account and any other accounts.. depending on your distro (mandrake) most of this stuff will be done almost automaticly for you, and will just prompt you when it needs input from you.

i might have generalized that a bit too much but i forget the exact details of installing specific distros on Mac platforms..

g/re/p said:

Go to diskcopy>file>burnimage> and then sellect the .iso file

Back