iApp

GroundZeroX

Searching for logic
What features would you guys like to see in the future of the iApps, and what kind of iApps would you like to see in the future? I personally would like to see tighter integration between iPhoto and .Mac, better reminders in iCal that would give you the ability to "snooze" like in Entourage, among other things.

iThink: A problem solving program that, given a set of data, uses advanced algorithms to arrive at possible solutions, i.e., something similar to KnowledgeMiner.

iCopy: Copies ALL CD's (even copy-protected CD's, for backup purposes only!), DVD's, and given standard audio input from the built-in microphone jack, converts my VINYL analog (33's & 45's) to digital format. If Apple's going to be the multimedia-digital-hub consumer-friendly company that it claims to be, it may as well GO ALL THE WAY!

iTunes
1. Ogg Vorbis encoding (the encoder selections are lame), better yet, open up the encoder selection API to third parties.
1.5 support ID3 tags in Ogg
2. The ability to download album covers and to print CD inserts directly from iTunes.
3. Better Sound Check (it does nto quite getthe job done).
4. Add "Delete" to context menu (so I can select a song in a playlist and have the song file removed from the system and the song removed from all playlists.

iPod =>
1. see 1 above
1.5 see 1.5 above
2. the ability to save rft,txt,html files into the folder and then read them on the iPod's screen - better yet, open up the Extras menu to 3rd parties
3. better shuffling on playlists (they only seem to be re-shuffled when the iPod is connected to the Mac)

iPhoto
1. The ability to browse photographs in the camera/compact flash reader and select specific photographs to download into iPhoto (like image capture)
2. Better scalablity (try importing 40,000 photos into iPhoto)
3. The ability to burn an album to CD/DVD.

iMovie
1. The ability to select the DV source (in and out) from multiple DV sources (I have 2 DV cameras and a dazzle holliwood DV bridge, the cable shuffle gets annoying).
2. more permanent selection of portions in clips. the two small triangles should be there on every clip (instead of appearing when you click and drag in just the right place). they should also remain where they are as long as the same clip is selected (right now a clip selection will disappear if you click on the wrong place).
3. option to "Delete from Playhead to Clip Start" and "Delete from Playhead to Clip End"

iSync (I know is beta)
1. incremental updating (instead of overwritting everything on every device).
2. all the planned updates I've read about =>

iCal
1. Speed, escpecially when subscribing to 15 calendars!
2. Export calendars as HTML.
3. I know there's more, but I'm blanking out...

given standard audio input from the built-in microphone jack, converts my VINYL analog (33's & 45's) to digital format

Griffin Tech makes the iMic. They have new software that does just this!

I think iCal need more options. Entourage gave you many options for reoccurring events. Like, you could set an event to repete on the first staurday of a every month, or a certain month. iCal also needs more options with the pop-up reminders, like snooze. I think iCal need to learn a little from Entourage. I'm sure iCal 2 will be awesome.

the ability to burn an album to CD/DVD is in iphoto, i think.
it'd be nice if you could tell iPhoto to make thumbnails of a certain size of a certain album. it'd also be nice if iPhoto allowed you to name the files (instead of just by roll number or whatever).
itunes:
i agree with the delete feature.
i agree with the album cover thing in itunes. that'd be neato. they could get with amazon to do that. and it would automatically make the icon of the folder of the cd the cd album cover, so i don't have to do that manually any more.
also, copy without import would be nice. maybe even have the iCopy app... but i don't really see this happening. making a carbon copy of a commercial DVD is nearly impossible now because commercial DVDs are typically around 7 gigs in size with the menu and the extras.
isync:
it should allow me to sync my files with an ftp server. this may be too 'pro' for the app, but it would be really handy for us web masters ^_^.
ical:
speed. yes. and a more simplified UI would be nice.
iBrowse:
^_^
Sherlock:
c'mon. it needs to be much faster. it's quicker to fire up the web browser as it is. also, better integration with address book (the directions button in addy book should take me to sherlock and have it find the directions from my house[j/i], not just a map)
iPhone:
i want to be able to plug my modem into a phone jack, click "call this person" in addy book, and then be able to pick up my receiver and already have it ringing. this is possible. there is a program on versiontracker that does it already. it'd be nice to have some integration. i'm not sure if it's possible, but it'd be nice to have caller ID info show up on my computer when i get a phone call, too. but i hear that takes a special kind of modem that they don't really make any more.

Originally posted by wdw_
I think iCal need more options. Entourage gave you many options for reoccurring events. Like, you could set an event to repete on the first staurday of a every month, or a certain month.

iCal already does this. click 'recurring' click 'weekly' then click your day, and make it every 4 weeks. bam. you can also make it show up only a set amount of times or even have an ending date.

what all the current iapps need are better directions on how to use them. there seems to be more to all of them than is intuitively found and hence their full capabilities go unappreciated by many. i pretty sure that i still don't know everything that iphoto can really do.

you speak the truth there! i just now found out about the export -=> web page thing. i knew i could .Mac me a page but... i don't have .Mac. this export to web page thing is neato fun fun! and you can also save a slideshow as a .mov.

totally sweet.

I think it would be cool to have tighter integration among all the iApps, and the Finder. Like being able to select an item, and go to the File Menu, and from there, file transfer it toa ny of the buddys you have online. The ability to share your iTunes library through ichat like you can with rendevouz, which i know would take alot of code access from AOL which they probably won't give. The only feature from Entourage, that i wish iCal had was the Snooze button. I also want the ability to edit my ical calendars online, and have it sync back with ical probably using iSync. I can't tell you how many times i've sat in my VB class, and i needed to adjust my calendar, but I couldn't, so i had to e-mail myself a note to make the proper adjustment.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
what all the current iapps need are better directions on how to use them. there seems to be more to all of them than is intuitively found and hence their full capabilities go unappreciated by many. i pretty sure that i still don't know everything that iphoto can really do.

if you press command-0, iPhoto will systematically go through your collection and select only those photos containing pictures of "steve"

iCopy (CD burning software) would be really great !

That would replace Toast.
Also, hardware errors would receive great treatment by iCopy, for Apple knows well the hardware iCopy runs on :D .

iApp - A application that includes all features of currect iApps.

iOS - A OS that includes all features of currect Mac OS X and iApp.

iTunes:
1.) Rating Internet Radio stations
2.) Streaming via Rendezvous (I know it's coming...)

iPhoto:
1.) Preview has an option to save stuff back as different file formats, it would be cool if iPhoto did this.
2.) More filters.
3.) Color correction.

iMovie:
1.) A second video layer.

iCal:
1.) More speed.
2.) More colors to choose from for your calenders, perhaps even your own custom ones.
3.) Reminders for To Do items.

Also, Apple has to acquire Chimera Navigator at this point. ;)

toast - just exactly what would the difference be between your icopy and diskburner? that it can do everything toast can? :p

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
toast - just exactly what would the difference be between your icopy and diskburner? that it can do everything toast can? :p

You guessed :p
I just wanty Roxio Toast to change name for Apple iCopy, I guess.
Or iBurn, maybe...

I would like to see the capability to see iSync sync with other webbased calendars, like AOL (Since Apple is already doing alot of work with them) or MSN.

Back