iBook 800/900 - AOE II, Starcraft, etc.

legacyb4

Registered
I've got reasonably simple gaming needs and wanted to see if AOE II, Starcraft, Tropico, or other sim-style games run smoothly enough on a current generation iBook 800/900 with maximum RAM.

Feedback please.

im running starcraft on a 350mhz imac and panther at full speed- it takes a skirmish with 8 players to even make the occasional slowdown.
dont know about the rest

Starcraft runs like a charm on my 400 Mhz iMac and this 233 Mhz G3; I doubt you'd have any problems on a machine 2-4 times as fast as either. I mean, it's 5 years old and it doesn't even use 3D models; how can it run poorly?

AOE II and Tropico shouldn't give you much, if any, trouble. The Sims definitely won't, if it runs reasonably well on this computer (the G3), if you're interested in The Sims.

Is The Sims any good? I was wondering if it was worth the money? How is the replay value of the game? I don't understand it...

the sims is ok, you should find someone who has it and try it out, it def. isnt for everyone, basically you just control all aspects of a family's life that you created, i found it fun as a fan of sims games, but i dont have any of the expansion-packs ;)

My sister likes it; unfortunately (for her, at least; I couldn't care less), it's not currently installed... actually, it's installed on the hard drive that's offline, so either way she can't play it.

I've played it a number of times, and it really doesn't hold anything for me. It's fun to build a house, to a point, or to mess with your Sims, but I feel it gets boring easily. For a point of reference, I've been playing Tac Ops for UT a lot on my iMac recently, and Starcraft before that. If you're not the hardcore action gaming type, you might enjoy the Sims more than me... then again, you might find it boring as hell.

Well I just got Zoo Tycoon (what drove me to this?!) and after about a day of playing I'm extremely bored with it and I'm now back on Max Payne.

Do you think I'll have the same experience with The Sims?

Back