iBook adapter/charger problems

Hello- I have a 2001 iceBook G3, and I have had continual problems with Apple's chargers for it. I have gone through 3 so far (on my fourth one currently), and am very ticked off-- especially since Apple refuses to pay for the replacement. All 3 broke in the same way: the piece of rubber, which holds the cord to the connector into the computer, frays- which disconnects the wire from the connector. The connection then sparks slightly, and shorts, preventing juice from getting to my laptop. Anyhow, wondering if any of you other chaps have had similar problems, or good solutions. Thanks.

Stress relief seems to be a big problem in so many Apple products. I've had issues with chargers, usually solved with an exacto knife and some solder, But three in two years is a lot. So much for once burned twice smart ;) :D

With the iceBook brick, I would recommend a couple of things.

- use the long cord and let the brick stay on the floor or better yet, near the computer.
- loosely wrap the thin cord around the brick a few times. If you can stand the idea, tape it or use a rubberband to keep it from unwinding.
- use the little clip on the thin cord to put a circular loop at the connection end of the thin wire. Check it often to make sure the loop is big and loose. That will take the strain off the connector.
- don't use the laptop on a soft surface like a bed. That puts a lot of stress on the connector itself.

Get yourself the Yo-Yo adaptor. I have had that with my '01 icebook, and never had a problem. Trust me, I abuse the snot out of my laptop and chargers. I do not play nice with my computers. I don't believe in babying them. They have to keep up with my lifestyle, and so far the iBook and the adaptor have kept up without even a grimace.

Ebay occasionally has them. You can also try some of the refurbed Apple shops on-line. Do a google search for used Macintoshes or something like that. You'll find something. :D

now-- just for confirmation-- the yoyo adapter was originally created for the original iBook, and the connector is the same size, and amperage as the current iBook, correct?

Back