ibook and Linksys WRT54G

alm70

Registered
I'm new to this site and VERY new to wireless networking. I have been using macs for many years so I'm familiar with the OS, but not so much with this wireless stuff. My question involves a ibook 800 mhz G3 that I want to get wireless. I already bought and installed the airport (801.11b) card. I bought a Linksys WRT54G router. I was a little confused when I got my router and there was no mac software to install. (I have since learned Linksys doesn't really support macs, but obviously their products work with macs) My question is how does the airport software come into play? I plug in my router, turn on my mac...and then what should I be expecting? Do I need to open the airport software and use the airport set-up?

thanks in advance for any tips...

There is no utitlity for the mac. You access all the settings by opening your browser and typing in 192.168.1.1 . It will ask you for user name and password, both are "admin", not case sensitive. You can monitor your signal from the icon in your menu bar.

Hi alm70 and welcome to the forum.
What cbrooks3 mentioned will only work if you have a signal. Is that the case? Does the airport icon on the menu bar show any black beams?
I would always start simple: use an ethernet cable first. I am sure there was one additionally bundled with your router. plug your ibook to your router and make sure all your network settings are set to automatical (click on the apple logo left top corner, go to Location and chose automatic. Now open a web browser as cbrooks3 said and adjust the settings on your router by the manual. After this you can unplug the ibook and try, if the wireless connection works. If not, come back to this thread. ;)

Yes, use the included ethernet cable first for setup. I believe you can even setup and connect to the wireless network while you're still connected via ethernet.

If you plan on putting a password on your wireless network (you should) there is a trick to get your iBook to remember the hex key on a WEP network. Put "0x" in front of the WEP hex key in the System Preferences / Network setup.

What those guys said

These routers are excellent. I use one at home and have 4 macs connected to it. Runs very well and has done so for 2 years. (mine is the WAP54G)

Back