iBook and OsX?

memo

Registered
I'm getting an iBook 600Mhz, with 256ram (upgrading to 512 later), and i was wondering how Os X would run on it...

im not planning on using any heavy programs like photoshop, maya or anything..just some text-editing, and maybe a little programming...

any comments or ideas?

-memo

Yeah man it'll be great. I've got a 500mhz ibook running 10.1.4 (576mb RAM) it goes smooth. I use some graphics editing stuff and do all my web/soft eng development on it, and i have no problems what so ever.

In fact if you want a good development machine i think osx is the best there is, especially for individual use.
cheer nick

Ditto the above post. I have an iBook 500 and OS X runs fine on it. In fact I chose the iBook over the Titanium laptop because at the time the Ti book couldn't burn CDs. That has changed now but I have no regrets.

I have the lowest spec'd version of the current iceBook, the first-batch 500s only had a 66 mhz bus, and it Rocks with a capital R. You should be quite pleased with the 600, and all the new ones run a 100mhz bus. ;)

You'll be fine, we have alot of the 500's and they run ok with OSX.
(I guess I'm spoiled with my Ti-667-512MB :0] )

I haven't played with the 600's yet, post back on how it run's once you get it going. (I have a friend looking to buy one...)

Take care.

OS X runs really well on a 500MHz iBook, so it should be fine on a 600. Just get plenty of RAM! I have 640MB. It won't be a speed demon, but it should be fine for what you'd like to do. I run Office v.X for word processing and spreadsheets, BBEdit for code editing, and compile Java codes on the command line regularly, and I've been happy with the performance. In fact, I used to have WebLogic running on my machine for J2EE work, and it didn't even trip one bit.

Happy iBooking!

-B

I've had my ibook (OSX only) 600mhz 20G HD DVD/CD-RW + 256ram (get as much ram as you can) for a week now and its freaken perfect. I use it for programing cocoa photo editing and movies and it works fine for me. Its fast and beautiful I couldn't ask for more, I check out the Tibook but its to big. My ibook is compact and powerful, I have all my Mp3 on it and with an audio connection to my stereo and iTunes its amazing. So far its has better features and functionality than any stereo I've ever purchased and its only going to get better. Once you buy a stereo component your stuck with it all I need is some speakers a simple connector box of some kind and my ibook will do the rest no cd's no loading nothing like that . My ibooks DVD Player is the same thing all I need to do is hook it up to my 32" Waga Trinitron and I'm set no need to buy a dvd player, my ibook is doing it all and it doesn't take up all the room needed for those other components. Even after it becomes out dated I'll still use if for playing my mp3 (of course I'll put in a larger HD) and playing my DVD's and what ever else I can use it for.

One last thing for browsing the web I recommend Mozilla its the fastest web browser out there, OmniWeb is nice but Mozilla 1.0 is a shark.:D

I have also been thinking on getting an iBook to run OSX but I am hooked to QuakeIII+UrbanTerror and I am not sure if it would run ok on such a machine.

I've read WebLogic on MacOSX? Even if unsupported?
'phatsharpie', please give more info on this!!!

dani++

Originally posted by dani++
I have also been thinking on getting an iBook to run OSX but I am hooked to QuakeIII+UrbanTerror and I am not sure if it would run ok on such a machine.

I've read WebLogic on MacOSX? Even if unsupported?
'phatsharpie', please give more info on this!!!

dani++

i think QIII and Urban Terror would be painful on an iBook... corre4ct me if i am wrong, but the video card and G3 just can't cut the mustard when it comes to frame rate.

If you want to do development work I would suggest a TI PB. The bigger the screen the better.

OSX runs just fine. I just wish I didn't have to scroll so damn much!

My iBook 600Mhz with 640Mb RAM works great. I keep a ton of applications open. The performance problems that plague me are the same ones that plague most other OS X users (e.g., window resizing).

I had to take out my defective 512MB memory chip recently, though. With the standard 128Mb that comes with the iBook, OS X is a snail.

Get as much memory as you can.

Out of curiousity.. I just ordered the 600MHz 12.1" iBook with standard 128 MB RAM. I'm going to add a 256 MB module. The question is this: Do I have to remove the existing 128 MB? Or will I actually get 384 MB? I read the instructions on apple.com about how to add more RAM, and it said "Remove the old memory chip" (Correct me if I'm all off, I read it very swiftly).

Yay.
Getting the iBook with 256 MB preinstalled and adding 256 MB more is the same cost. Oh well.

Back