iBook and PowerBook MATLAB users...

boyfarrell

Registered
Hello!

I will be changing from my 2.6Ghz Acer TravelMate 250 Wintel laptop to either a iBook or PowerBook depending on your suggestions!

One of the main consideration is to know how fast MATLAB runs on the different platforms. Would anybody be interested in running the MATLAB bench mark function on iBooks and PowerBooks, and posting the results?

Simply type the word 'bench' into the MATLAB command window to start the benchmarking test programme. 10 seconds and 5 cool graphical tested later your done!

Interested in hear how you get on, regards. Daniel.

PS - attached/below is the result from running bench on a 2.8Ghz P4 HP Compaq Desktop at work. (I will attach my laptop results later on today)

Attachments

• bench28P4.JPG
    bench28P4.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 10
Hello all,

There are the results from my Laptop, it's a 2.6 P4, Acer TravelMate.

I had a look at some macs today, I actually prefer the look of the iBook top the PowerBook, does anybody else agree?

Attachments

• Laptop2.6P4.JPG
    Laptop2.6P4.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
Standard practice is to run bench(3) which will cause the benchmark to be run 3 times. The reason for this is because MATLAB compiles the benchmark the first time it is called and it will provide slower results.

My 1.33 GHz Powerbook gives me a total score of about 16.

Here is the attachment so you can see the individual break down of the scores.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for your post. It's very interesting.

Firstly it seem like there are slightly different scales. On my post the P4 2.0GHz scored about 19 while on your it scored about 24.

So if we scale your PowerBook to my scale I think that puts us at around 24? I hope you would agree. So my conclusion is that the 1.3 Ghz G4 is slightly behind the 2.6Ghz P4 (at least on matlab). Thats very good when you consider the FSB and cache differences between the processors.

However, I think this has to be taken with a pinch of salt because of the dodge scaling ... but it gives be a feel for the details.

I think a powerbook is the way to go for me! Thanks again for your help!

Dan.

Back