ibook battery mystery

dannyvin

Registered
i've got a slight problem, ok maybe not so slight. my ibook battery ever since upgrading to X.2 hasn't been the same. the charge gets sucked up faster, plus, after about 45 mins. into using my battery, it suddenly goes down to ZERO!! AHHH!!! i really hope someone can give me some answers! thanks!

Did you do an upgrade install over a previous version of X? There's probably something in the power management software that got messed up in the process. I've heard reports from others who've had battery troubles with their iBooks. Mine seems to be fine, and I think it's the same model as yours, but this is with a clean install of 10.2. You may have to resort to that, unfortunately. It would be nice if the upgrade installs would go a little more smoothly than they have been.

hmmm... i pretty sure i did a clean install, well, i chose the option where the installer didn't erase the hard drive. But the power management sounds like a good reason, my other thought also is that the battery has reached the end of its life, since the battery physically gets drained from 57% to 0% due to the green LEDs indicator on the batt. Anyways, if you can, can you give me more info about the power management issue, i'm gonna try to research this one out.

If the battery has been heavily used (like my old one,) then it's not uncommon for it to hold a very short charge like you described. I've also seen them jump from above 30% to 0% almost immediately, so you might just be in need of a fresh battery. One last thing you can try is resetting the power manager. Apple's Knowledge Base has an article that describes how to do this on almost any portable Mac. Search for iBook, power manager, and reset, and the desired article should be near the top of the list.

Back