ibook causes linksys router to loose internet!?

nicholas562

Registered
hi there, i just got a brand new wireless router (the popular linksys WRT54G) together with my new ibook (with built-in airport). and everything is fine, until i connect my ibook, either by wireless or cabel. after a random amount of time, it allways ends with all clients connectet to the router, loose internet access. they still can browse each other. but to gain internet acess again i have to reset the router.

i have a neighbour with a netgear router, wireless too. when connecting to his network. there is NO problem ? :(

ive tried:
-static ip adresseing
-change MTU packet size
-different wireless settings (B and G mode, encryptions, changeing Channels from 11, to 1 and 13) - but this makes no sense should work, since the problem still exists, when im connected via cabel.

any idears guys, help appreciated!

First of all, sorry that you are having trouble with the Linksys router. I have the same device and it works fine on my network.

The first think I suggest is making sure that you have the most current firmware on the router. If you need instructions, reply.

Next, make sure your iBook has the current Apple software and updates. Run software update, reboot if asked, and run software update again until there are no more relevant updates.

Now, looking into the network setting on your iBook:
To keep things simple,
1 turn off Airport
2 use a wired ethernet connection
3 on the Network system preferences pane for Built-in Ethernet
turn off IPv6
use a DHCP server
turn off appletalk unless you specifically need it on

apply these settings and see how long your router maintains its connection to the internet.

If you still loose internet connectivity, respond and we can go farther into the router diagnostics.

Good luck!

thanks. as it is now. it works fine.
tried disabling ipv6. all other ive already done.
i also added static ip adresses.

i fear though that the prob is not gone. i have a surspicion that the probleme is triggered each time a new machine starts op on the network. does that sound stupid?

I had this problem with mine.

The router will disengage the connection to the net when idle for lengthy periods. You can set this, and I did, but I still lost the connection to the internet here and there.

I finally enabled the keep alive option and haven't lost the connection since. (I have broadband, BTW). This option isn't just for modem users. If you set it, the router will check the connection every so often (whatever every you set it to) and if it's dead, will reconnect.

Back