iBook CD drive

I have an iBook G4 800MHz with a regular cd-rom. I want to get a cd-rw/dvd or dvd-r for it but I don't want to pay $300.00 for the MCE 8x Internal "SuperDrive" Upgrade. Can I buy a cd drive for an iBook on ebay and install it on mine?

Opening the iBook for changing the disk or optical drive is very tough. However, it is possible and a couple of ppl in this forum did so. But you will need to be skilled in such things otherwise you will mess up your book..
Another solution would be a new book maybe a powerbook even. Check on ebay. You will be surprised how much they offer for your book.

I changed the harddrive myself on my iBook G3/500 and it was not fun. I had already bought the disk and then tried to open it. i am not sure if i would have upgraded it if i would have known what i know now. If you have not taken apart a computer before then this would be a horrible place to start, in my opinion.

Come to think of it, and if you are courageous, you could read the Apple series, "Desktop and portable systems, A guide to supporting, servicing and troubleshooting apple computers" from the PeachPit press.

I believe this book details how to take apart the iBook.

Good Luck ;)

Back