iBook closed screen operation

ropers

Registered
I would be extremely keen on seeing a OS patch/upgrade that lets me operate my iBook w/ the lid closed.

Think about it:
You're running some numbercrunching task or download, you want to leave you machine, the natural thing would be just to close the lid (think dust, think carring it somewhere...). You don't want to go it to sleep all of the time - as it currently does.

Can this be done?

Well, it doesn't go to sleep when you command-s boot into the shell...
Would there be a heat problem - very possible - anybody have any detailed info on this? How much heat can an LCD take?

Can any of you semi-Gods (aka programmers) be convinced to write a kext (kernel extension) or other patch towards that aim? (Maybe someone will do it if I brownnose well enough :)

rop
_

Unfortunatly, there's no way to keep your iBook awake if you shut the lid. When you close it there are two chrome pins under the screen will put your iBook to sleep whether you like it or not.

This is simply done to protect your 'book since when the lid is open, heat dissipates out the vents in the back, which are covered when you shut the lid to keep debris out.

There is an extension for OS 9 called insomnia that forces your iBook to stay awake, but it won't work when you close the lid because it's a hardware precaution, not software.

I beg to differ:
(I'm talking about the dual USB (white) 12 in iBook, btw.)

- The vents at the back are NOT covered when the lid is closed.
(Strictly speaking they are partially covered, but so they are when the lid is open.)

- The fact that the iBook does not go to sleep when the lid is closed while it is booted directly into the tcsh command prompt/shell (holding command+s during startup) clearly indicates that the hardware is not unconditionally forcing it to go to sleep. Otherwise it would needs go to sleep in 'shell mode' as well.

But thanks for your feedback.
And again, any suggestions on this are most welcome!

:)

rop

Ahh, I stand corrected. The information I got was wrong, what is keeping your 'book awake
is OSX. You are able to keep your iBook awake in OS 9.1 (and earlier) by plugging in an external monitor or possibly keyboard. Apple took away this option in 9.2.2 and 10 because the iBook was never intended to run closed, due to heat dissipation issues.

Back