Ibook DVD problem

Lennonabbeyroad

Registered
lately my ibook is not reading dvds but still reads all other medias. i did a search and found many people to be having this problem. when i attempt to play a dvd (commercial no burned dvds) the ibook acts like its reading the disk goes into dvd player and then nothing happens. there is no dvd icon in the finder, i check all my prefs and system settings and it seems nothing has changed since last month when i played dvds, i check all the forums about this problem and the one thing i can't find is a answer that someone clarified as fixing the problem. can anyone help?

first i made sure the three DVDs that didn't work in my ibook worked in a dvd player, then i checked to see if a CD would work in my ibook, and it did. so i checked my system prefs and made sure that they were set to open dvds with the dvd player and not ignored i also check my disk utlities to make sure the drive was listed and it was. but still whenever i put a dvd in nothing shows in the finder and nothing happenes in the dvd player. also i don't think its a regional code error i'm in code 1 and have never had a dvd that was outside of that.

Did you repair permissions using DiskUtility? That's the first remedy for most problems. I usually re-start from the installer disk when I do this. See the 2nd post in this thread

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1292428#post1292428

If that fails, create a new user in Accounts in System Preferences and log in as this user. Now try the DVD again. If it works with the new user the problem is somewhere in your user folder, possibly a corrupt preference file. It could even be as simple as a dirty laser head. There are various cleaning disks on the market at a reasonable price but make sure you pick one which is non-abrasive.

Back