iBook External Hard Drive/Bootable ?

vjmacaddict

Registered
I just purchased a Maxtor MaXLine III 7L300RO 300GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive, and a Rosewill RX30-U2FA External Enclosure USB/FireWire. Still waiting for the shipment to arrive.

My question: Will I need to purchase additional wires/cables or other equipment, in order to install the hard drive?

The hard drive will be connected to my G4 iBook, presently running OS X 10.3.9. I would also like to install Tiger on the external hard drive, and be able to boot from the external hard drive. Will that be a problem? Thanks.

-- vjamacaddict

Hi,

I dont think that would be a problem at all, just hold option on startup to bring you to the drive select screen and then select the ext. drive. Use the startup disk control panel in the preferences to set that as the default startup volume.

hopefully bobs yer monkeys uncle.

Elliot

oh p.s

a standard firewire cable will be ok + you'll need a power cable for the enclosure (it should come with one)

have fun!

if it come with a usb cable a driver (cd-rom) should be provided, in FW mode it should be recognised and you can use disk utility to format/partition it. To make it bootable look into Carbon Copy Cloner i've been using it with my ext HD work fine is recognised as a bootable volume by system pref > startup disk :)

Gig' said:
if it come with a usb cable a driver (cd-rom) should be provided, in FW mode it should be recognised and you can use disk utility to format/partition it. To make it bootable look into Carbon Copy Cloner i've been using it with my ext HD work fine is recognised as a bootable volume by system pref > startup disk :)

What exactly is Carbon Copy Cloner? Is that for backing up files, or copying over an entire hard drive/partition?

Carbon enables you to create a bootable volume or sync for backup purpose check this

On the second part of the original question : I would create a bootable volume with panther on the ext hd and then do a clean install of tiger on your PB internal hd.

Gig' said:
Carbon enables you to create a bootable volume or sync for backup purpose

I have several questions:

1) Why would it be better to have OS X Tiger on the internal HD, or does it even matter? The internal HD on my iBook is very slow. In fact, the iBook is simply a slug. My old PowerMac 7300 (with a G3 500Mhz cpu upgrade) is much faster than my 1Ghz iBook!!!

2) Will Tiger run faster than Panther, even on the 1Ghz iBook? I have 768MB of RAM, and a 60GB HD.

3) Does OS 9.2 also come with Tiger? I would still like to have OS 9.2 on both the internal and external HD, if that is possible.

1-Won't matter. Most likely will be faster on an external drive that's faster than the internal drive.

2-Probably a little

3-No, but it is possible. You need an OS 0 CD to install from to use as Classic.

Back