ibook freeze issues

delars76

Registered
I have a problem with my ibook freezing that started a few days ago; it began by freezing at the blue screen (prior to the login window), and now will variously freeze at black screen, grey screen, apple logo, or on rare occasion make it to the desktop.
The particulars:
ibook G4 800 with 512 additional RAM, Airport, 60 G HD (new)
I have done fsck (no reported issues), Disk repair utility- repair permissions, repair disk, Hardware test (no reported issues, but I couldn't do the loop test due to freezing) Disk Warrior, I installed a new hard drive with a clean install of OSX (I installed 10.3), (no effect), and have tried starup with and without the removeable RAM and Airport installed (no difference).
I'm out of ideas, but am beginning to think that the problem may be with the fixed RAM; however I can't run the ibook long enough to get a good test without freeze up. One additional note: the problem seems to get progresively worse the longer the ibook has been on, i.e. it gets further into startup say, if it has rested overnight.
Anyone have thoughts on this? Also, if it is the fixed RAM, does that mean a new logic board?
Thanks all!

Hi,

Well, this is quite strange. It shouldn't matter how long the computer's "rested"! It sounds like a firmware problem. I'm not so sure the RAM is the primary issue here. I'd advise you to take your iBook to an Apple store and have an Apple Genius look at it. If you have warranty on the computer, you won't have to worry about paying. Also, have you contacted Apple directly?

Good luck.

Back