Ibook G3 500, keyboard not recognized

keuner

Registered
Hi, probably someone can help me with this.

I have an ibook g3, 500 with os x 10.3. I bought it a long time ago in Germany, so it has a German keyboard.

Yesterday I replaced the logicboard, since my ibook showed signs of the well known logicboard/ graphics failure. That went well, graphics are working now.

But, suddenly the hardware or the os does not recognize the keyboard anymore. I can not type in anything at the log in screen. No lights are working on the keypad as well. Funny thing is, that, when I hold down the apple key at the start up, this works and will get me into the start up options screen. So, I am not sure if it is a matter with the hardware or with the os.

Another thing I recognized: when I put the computer to sleep at the log in screen, the sleep led will light up, but then the ibook will immediately wake up. - This might be connected to the keyboard problem.

I bought the logic board replacement in the US. Could this be the problem? Does this logic board probably have trouble with the German keyboard? Or, do you think the logic board replacement is broken as well? Would using an American keyboard help?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:
I could be wrong about this, but i don't belive that the 500mhz models (either the dual usb or late 2001) were the model that had the infamous logic board issue with the graphics. I believe they were the generation after (or maybe two). I have been known to be wrong before though. My dad's ibook was inflicted with that issue and it was the 900mhz (14") model. apple replaced the board 3 times in it until if was no longer covered under the special warranty for the issue.

anyways, I have taken both of my 500mhz ibooks apart and noticed that where the ribbon cable for the keyboard plugs in is a very delicate connection, and I don't really like the type of socket it uses. My first guess is that it is not seated good in this connection. You have to lay the cable into the jack and then push this little "plunger" thing in to keep it in the socket. My guess is that it either is not being held in good, or it is not lined up good in this socket so it is getting a bad connection.

With all that said, I have no idea if it might be something else relating to the german specific keyboard.

</$0.02>

Back