iBook G3: computer won't boot after upgrading to 10.4.1

zoe_fae

Registered
I've got an iBook G3 that I upgraded to Tiger the weekend it came out with no problems. I ran software update tonight and upgraded to the new 10.4.1, restarted and I am stuck in command line, which I know nothing about. I've tried booting from the install disc holding down c, same problem. I've held down option as well and it doesn't help either. I've done fsck -fy it says HD is okay, then I did the bless thing (sorry, can't remember what the command was) and it told me no volume was selected. Here is that last bit of code where I am at:

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications to files:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system, but stay in single user mode:
sh /etc/rc
localhost:/ root#

I hope that is enough info.

I think the fact that you did an upgrade instead of a clean install, may have lingered on and maybe caused this. Just thinking.

Thank you for the welcome. I have the snow 12" iBook and I was using 10.1.5 (can't remember the ram, I think 256), so I did do a clean install. That's the good thing, everything is backed up. I haven't tried typing rc. Would I do this while starting up while holding the two keys or in the command line? Thank you all for your responses so far.

The only one I have previous to Tiger is 10.0 I haven't tried booting from that one yet. I will try when I get home through. Thanks.

So eventually I got it solved. I had done the rc thing before, and booting from any install disc was impossible. I was able to boot the hardware test disc, everything fine there, then I booted from my old applecare disc. I repaired the volume, which needed to be repaired but still stuck in command line. What I am guessing that the problem was, is that it wasn't selecting the start up disc, once I choose the start up disc through the applecare disc, it booted. I don't understand why it would boot from any of my install discs though. It is still a little funky, so I am going to have to do a clean install, again. Annoying, but at least I didn't lose everything. Thank you to everyone who responded. It is soo appreceiated.

An archive and install/preserve user and network setting should work just as well provided that you uninstall Tiger-incompatible apps before. Be sure and repair permissions before and after.

Back