ibook g3 hard disc

mata hari

Registered
hi folks,
my hard disc burned 3 weeks ago....ibook G3 600mghz (2001 model i believe).

Anyway, i've been to a mac shop (europe) and i've been proposed, a 40giga for 160euro with the repairs and 120 or 140euro without the repairs. Or, a 60giga for 280 with the repairs or 160euro without.
I'll have confirmation of these prices from the shop in the week.

....first i'm quite interested to do it myself and secondly i think that either they don't charge much for the hand work or they clearly over charged the price of the hard disc. i remember i've seen some 40giga about 80$ US....

i firstly thought to instal a 40giga.....i have a 20 right now.... for i've red a guy who instaled a 60giga at 7200rpm and he complained about overheat in the laptop... so i thought 40giga will be more reasonable. But the 60 giga i've been proposed is 4200rpm, now does it takes a part in the warm phenomenon? 'cos i'm quite tempted to instal a 60....

So...advices about hard disc brands, rpm speed, overheat problems, etc, and links to dealers to find the best price...are welcome.

thank you folks.

:D

thank you HateEternal ,
so will you say that if i instal a 60giga but running at 4200rpm i won't have the problem of overheat, as i've red about the 60giga running at 7200rpm?

thanx.

Well, theoretically a drive that spins faster will require more power and generate more heat, so the 60 gig 4200 RPM drive shouldn't use much more power than your current 4200 RPM drive.

Okey......
actualy i was considering buying a...
Toshiba 80.0 GB - UDMA/100 - 5400/16MB, Fluid FDB, 12 ms 2,5inch

what you think...too fast, too greedy, to much heat...?
Anyway the 60 GB is 5400rpm as well...
:D

The 7.2K RPM drives and 5.4K RPM drives don't produce much more heat than the 4.2K ones. I've got 7.2K in my Powerbook and I can tell you that it's just slightly warmer than the standard drives that ship with the *books. Battery life may be a little shorter (by some 15 minutes) but that's worth it IMHO.

Let the shop owners do it. Upgrading the hard drive on any Mac laptop is a pain. Just do a search on the web for pictures/manuals and you'll see how difficult it is. I can't remember exactly how long I took to upgrade my iBook G3, but I think it was in the region of 3 hours.

Done! the machine works just fine, no overheat at all nor noises.
3h15 with the help of the manual, feel back in business...
peace 'o cake
:rolleyes:

Back