ibook g4 14' freezes at blue screen

jack_sprat

Registered
Hi.
I've been reading the other post and searching for ways to fix this. My ibook froze a couple of days ago, so I pressed the power button to do a hard turn off and then restarted it. It hasn't made through the blue screen since. It seems to load all way and then stops at the end, but stays on the blue screen. The mouse is not frozen though, I noticed that was a problem for some people. So I've already tried a lot of the suggestions I could find. I've tried resetting the PMU, that didn't help. I tried:

Start your computer holding the ⌘ and S key on your keyboard. When the black screen turns up and the "writing" stops, you will see something like:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to make modifications to files:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system:
exit

:/ root#
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to check your filesystem, type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and press the return key on your keyboard and wait for the process to finish. If any errors are found repeat the above mentioned command until you get something like:

** The volume some_name appears to be OK.

(The term "some_name" is just to indicate that I don't know the precise name). Now type:

exit

but still nothing changed. I used the apple hardware test, and no problems were found, but it still won't go past the blue screen. I have been trying to uninstall and then reinstall everything using the install discs that came with my computer, but all I get is the refresh button, a macintosh HD pic that is already preselected by the computer and an arrow to continue with start up. I have not been able to get the deinstall/reinstall button that I have read about. Can someone please help me? Thanks, jack_sprat

First, if you have installed anything on your own, like memory, make sure it is firmly in place.
Second, when you put the install disc in and boot, hold down the C key until you know the computer is booting up on the CD and not the HD. Hopefully this will get you to the install screens from the CD. If successful, after a few screens, you will have drop down menus on the top of the screen. Under Utilities you will see options. Make sure your Hard-Drive is selected as the start-up disk. Try to reboot. If not successful, then get back to the install screen, and if you choose to reinstall the system software.

Back