ibook G4 airport wireless issues

geekgirl

Registered
I just got a used ibook G4 and I am having a problem with the signal for the wireless card. Everything seems to be working fine but only if I am in the same room with the wireless router. My Dell laptop that has wireless built in will work anywhere in my apartment but not this mac. This is a real issue as I got this mac specifically to use wireless with it.

Do I need an antenna? or a booster on my ibook? I tried the wireless card in a new powerbook and it works great but the same card in my ibook on the same wireless network just doesn't work well. :(

If anyone has any ideas let me know. It's frustrating to get a computer and not have it perform well.

Thanks

Geekgirl

just to share our experiences - we have two g-4 powerbooks that are limited because they are framed in titanium metal? or some type of metal that restricts the signal, as our third ibook (plastic encased) works easily 75' away. can only speculate, but most chats agree that the g-4 titanium is limited in it's reception with the airport , and we have used old airport, as well as airport extreme. not a happy surprise, I'm sure - suggestion is a nice lounger near the airport?? good luck, leaderboy

geekgirl said:
I just got a used ibook G4 and I am having a problem with the signal for the wireless card. Everything seems to be working fine but only if I am in the same room with the wireless router. My Dell laptop that has wireless built in will work anywhere in my apartment but not this mac. This is a real issue as I got this mac specifically to use wireless with it.

Do I need an antenna? or a booster on my ibook? I tried the wireless card in a new powerbook and it works great but the same card in my ibook on the same wireless network just doesn't work well. :(

If anyone has any ideas let me know. It's frustrating to get a computer and not have it perform well.

Thanks

Geekgirl

I've recently just set up an AirPort Extreme with my family's PC and my iMac (only finished about 2 hours ago actually).

The AirPort base station sits on top of the PC and the iMac is upstairs; both computers have full reception.

What I suggest is to check for anything that would be interfering with data transmission. AirPorts and other wireless devices use radio waves to transfer data. Radio waves are very weak waves, so they can pick up interference pretty easily. Before deciding your iBook is the culprit, check for anything that will interfere with data transmission. Also try moving the wireless router to different locations and see if signal strength increases.

Back