iBook G4 ???? interesting...

I agree with the Reg's analysis, it would be silly for Apple to release an iBook at 500mhz, especially for ~$1400...

Depends, though. Many people want the PB 15" for the screen. If the graphics chip is a good one, then a G4/500 isn't that bad a deal, really. I've switched from a TiBook 500 to my current iBook. And there wasn't much of a noticeable speedup that wasn't graphics related. Sure, the 900 MHz iBook is a tad faster still, but with a good graphics adapter (Radeon Mobility 9000, 64 MB VRAM), this could be a nice baby. I don't believe it, either, but I have to say that I could see some people buying them...

I'd get one, I only need the PB to show stuff to clients, but i will mostly use my desktop anyway. An iBook with a G4 would be a cost effective solution for me. I wouldn't pay over $1,200, I'd get a PB if thats the case.

Agreed, Apple needs 2 things in the new iBook:

1. Phase out G3. It's not a bad CPU, but it's lost customer appeal long ago...
2. Make a low-cost laptop to compare with some of the cheap wintel laptops out there...

Apple is moving faster than before with products and processor speeds... that is good enough news for me for now...just that it makes my purchases out of date pretty fast... so I am keeping my 12" Alubook for now... until G5 PB are released...

But G4 iBooks would be good for the line of products. And it would not run as hot at higher processor speeds.

Well, I still love my iBook 600. It's not THAT slow and nothing can beat it in the heat-section. And power drain... Actually the perfect laptop-cpu.

Man they suck at making up good excuses. Um yeah it's an iMac advertisement...sure.
They could of said it was an old Powerbook G4.

If I was a normal consumer and no die hard I would expect the mhz to go into ghz. 900 - 1.2 ghz. When Apple starts selling an ibook, reduces the speed, i might think it was a misprint and purchase the iBook 900 mhz model instead.

It is suppossed to be a companion to the iMac so it might be smarter to change it to 800, 900, and 1ghz G3.

If Apple yells 900 mhz G3, everyone says huh, what.
If Apple yells 500 mhz G4, than we have a panic on our hands on the 4th of October.

Apple would never release an iBook that ran at 500 Mhz, even if it was a 500 Mhz G4—they're way past that, and they need to seem to be getting faster, not slower. Sure, there may not be a whole lot of performance difference, especially if the arkytekky is built right, but the Mhz myth is a myth, and consumers aren't going to buy a machine that is "slower" than the previous models.

Feel free to mess around, though. I bet some of you could build your own 500 Mhz G4 iBook. :)

Well, let's assume - just for the moment - that the iBook would go widescreen 15" for the top-of-the-line and also would go G4. Certainly, even a 900 MHz G4 would steal MANY PowerBook sales. Thus, Apple would _HAVE_ to go down in MHz. Maybe not to 500, but to 800, perhaps. Keeping the bus speed at 100 MHz will also help the PowerBook sales.

However, I hope that there's still going to be a 12" iBook, as that seems the perfect entry-level notebook to me.

i think a 500mhz g4 ibook would be one of the stupidest moves by apple in recent history, i dont care about altivec, but a 900mhz g3 is going to be faster than a 500mhz g4 overall IMHO

Originally posted by Jason
i think a 500mhz g4 ibook would be one of the stupidest moves by apple in recent history, i dont care about altivec, but a 900mhz g3 is going to be faster than a 500mhz g4 overall IMHO
Absolutely correct. My benchmark thread graph backs this up fully.

Note that this was posted more than one year ago. ;) I don't think the benchmarking program took Altivec into account either, but without it the machines were about the same at the same clock speed.

Also note that Xbench is one of the best benchmarking utilities on the Mac to date. :D They have a comparison site and everything; very highly recommended.

haha...that sure was funny ape in the shell!

you make me laugh with your reference to the movie JAWS.

haha...i cannot predict the laughter you will create next.

Back