Ibook G4 Keeps On Freezing

aidanmark

Registered
Please help - my iBook G4 running OS 10.3.3 keeps on freezing. The cursor still moves, though nothing is clickable and the keyboard is not responsive. I have tried re-installing the OS, though the problem still persists. I think it may be caused by overheating - as i only usually have the problem when it is connected to the mains electricity - and the freezes have occured in all sorts of different programs. I have had my iBook for just over a year, and this problem only started 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the problem? or what I could do to solve it?

Much appreciate any help!

Not sure if this helps give anyone any ideas, but I've noticed that iBook still freezes even whilst not plugged in. Though it only usually does this after around 30 mins, and this happens typically after a small period of inactivity (i.e. the mouse not moving, no keys being pressed). If you resent the computer immediately, crashes occur very quickly again. If however you leave it alone for a bit (to cool down?) you can then get another good 30 minutes out of it before another freeze.

I'm thinking because the crashes seem to occur in all types of programs, that perhaps this is a hardware issue?

Have you checked your crash logs? You can accomplish this by using the console app and view log files for a pattern.

all i got that could be causing a problem was this:

2005-09-16 23:41:44.196 Help Viewer[350] -[HelpIndex _extractRemoteRootAndNetworkFilePreference:] caught a VTWIN exception. Bad index file is /Users/aidanmark/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/Mac Help/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/pgs/pgs idx

does this mean anything to anyone?!

I've had my G4 Ibook for about 10 months now and these freezes just started. Screen freezes but the mouse cursor still moves. I tried an Archive Install, tried a test user as well as told by the "genius" at the Apple Store. After all that, it turned out the Logic Board needed to be replaced. After speaking with the "genius" he said the problem was solved by replacing the logic board, which was probably ruined due to overheating.

Hate to say it, but I think the only way to solve the problem is by replacing the logic board!!!

Temporary solution is to close the lid of the computer until it sleeps (light on front will come on). At that time, open the lid and the computer should unfreeze and be ok to use again. This is a TEMPORARY fix though.

Back