Ibook G4 (Panther) Hangs, Screen Flashes...Dead

ny156uk

Registered
Hi,

I've got an iBook G4 which late yesterday hung and then started flashing the screen with straight-lines across it. At first I feared the display was broke but I turned-off the computer and back on again and it worked fine for a few minutes then did the same thing again. This happened four or five times before it stopped booting up at all.

The flashing-screen problem no longer exists but my system consistently crashes whenever I try anything in disk-utility/install. I tried to repair my drive (hung), repair permissions (hung), finally I tried an "archive and reinstall" and it got to about 30% through the install before it hung.

It takes about 4 or 5 tries to get the compute to boot to the point where it will actually read the Installation CD, but then this always crashes when I try to install the OS.

I have all the original documents, discs and all the standard features.

So far the only thing I haven't tried is to erase my disk, but I desperately don't want to do this as I have several purchases from the iTunes Music Store which are not on my iPod and which I won't be able to recover, not to mention valuable documents, music and etc.

I have an old iBook with 10.1.5 installed on it and a network-cable, I also have access to a PC too.

Any suggestions on what might be causing the continual hanging/preventing me from achieving a reinstall would be wonderful.

Regards,

Paul

At this stage I suggest you get the Hard drive removed and copy its contents before you lose the lot.

Back