iBook g4 startup prob

necrolyte6

Registered
I have an iBook G4 with OSX 10.4. During the last update to 10.4.11, after restart the comp freezes during the gray apple screen with the spinning sticks. I tried to copy a working OS from another laptop I have using target disc mode and SuperDuper, copy was successful, same startup problem. fsck reports no drive errors. There's nothing on this computer except the OS and firefox. It also freezes if I try to boot to the OSX DVD in the same place, before it gets to the install options. Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong?

Have you tried the Apple Hardware test? Hold the option key while booting from install disk. It should be selectable in the startup manager.

I cant get to a hardware test, holding option brings up the boot list with the HD and the install CD but thats it. After that when booting to the CD it just freezes before the install menus come up.

Check the disks that came with your iBook. The AHT might be a seperate disk. (mine was for iMac G4) I don't believe so, but doesn't hurt to look. ;)
If you can't boot from install cd (and cd is ok) it may be a hardware problem.
Were you able to boot in safe mode? You mentioned trying fsck...
If so, we might be able to isolate the problem...

I'm having the same problem as necrolyte6. I have been trying to reset my password and used the install disk, holding down "C" while restarting. My blue screen showing the install menu froze. I then tried the "Option" and got the same results.

Back