iBook G4 w/Tiger 10.4.11 won't restart or shut down

doctormelodious

Registered
Greetings,

When I select Restart or Shut Down from the Apple menu, all of my apps close, but then it just sits there showing the desktop pattern. The cursor remains live. Nothing else happens. I have to hit ctrl-opt-power to force a power down.

This happens regardless of which account I'm logged into. (I have an extra "safety" account that I never use for anything. It has admin privileges.)

It also happens if I click Restart or Shut Down in the Login screen.

It also happens if I force reboot into Safe Mode and then try to Restart or Shut Down.

This iBook (see sig below) has a brand new HD in it, and I just spent an entire day doing a fresh reinstall of Tiger and all of my apps.

Help!

Thanks,
DM

Last edited:
Okay, I found the culprit. When I reinstalled everything on the new HD, I updated TiVo Desktop. Turns out the current version has a bug: if it's switched "on" in its System Preferences control panel, it won't allow the Mac to restart or shut down. I've reported it to TiVo, but who knows when/if they'll ever do anything about it. The Mac version of TD is several points behind the PC version.

You know, I've been a hard core Mac guy for 20 years, but geez, sometimes I get weary of the second-class citizenship and shoddy support we get from companies like TiVo, Intuit, and a slew of others -- compared to what they offer their PC users. But alas, those clever "I'm a Mac. I'm a PC" commercials with John Hodgman are not likely to switch 95% of the world to Mac, so I guess them's the breaks.

Okay, /endOfWhining

Back