iBook G4 White screen with apple icon

jpnmoilijk

Registered
Hello, I have reached this website after scrawling to find a solution on the internet. I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I have a 4 years old G4 ibook (OS 10.3.7), and have been using it for internet, skype and foto-storage mainly.

Situtation:
Yesterday I tried to use the internet (Firefox browser) and skype, but the skype didn't work at all. Since firefox was not working properly either, I did force quit and restarted the computer. I attempted this several times until I could use both applications (never had any problems before). However, Skype didn't work, and in the end, I could not quit firefox at all. At last I did force quit again, and saw white screen with apple icon at the centre when restarting. No time-spinning mark, the apple just sits there.

Troubleshooting that I have done:
I called up support center, and they told me that it's very likey that the computer is stopping at "'carnel" stage (I'm sorry but I don't know what this is). The possibility that it's got something to do with HD is 50/50, so I may have to send it to repairing service in the worst case. They told me to try using Disc Install CD1 to check/repair something wrong in my computer. So I followed the instructions and inserted the install CD and restart the computer with "c" key. The computer read the CD and Installer window showed up. As instructed in a manual, I used First Aid in Disc Utility, and tried "repairing disc". After a while it said "1 HFS has been repaired". It also said that Macintosh HD doesn't seem to have a problem", so I quit the disc utility and restarted the computer.
Against my expectation, the same white screen with apple came up on the screen and sits there with no other movements.

I'm afraid of trying somethinig without further help, so I hope I can get the same story or ideas that someone here might have.

Thanks for your time.

Hi jpn, how much free space do you have on that system?

Does it boot to open firmware? alt-apple-o-f keys held together at startup, it should boot to a white command line environment.. if you get there,

reset-nvram (followed by enter)
reset-all (enter)
reboot

I have an ibook g4 and I have taken it apart because sometimes my scrren would just go blank so I replaceds the lvds cable and nothing still the white screen. Video is displayed on an external monitor but not the screen on the laptop. Any suggestions. I have to go to guatemala at 4am and I need this to work.
HELP

Back