iBook G4 won't load past Mac OS X blue screen

Bethany43

Registered
Last night I installed updates to my iBook G4 - I think the only update that I chose to install was the update for Java. Afterwards, I rebooted the computer and it would "freeze" on the grey Apple screen with no ticking gear. I reset the PMU with no success, and tried to reset the PRAM and that seemed to work. The computer booted up and gets as far as the "Starting Max OS X" with the blue bar progressing to full then freezes. I've tried started in Verbose mode and it gave me an "I/O" error and won't allow me to do anything else. I've tried to do the "fsck -fy" command to no avail. I'm not very familiar with Macs, I had bought this in December '05 and ended-up giving it to my niece & nephew to play on. I know that they had issues awhile back, not sure exactly what they were but they had to reinstall the OS. Now the disc has been lost so that is not an option. I don't know what else to try and I'm not really sure how much it'd cost to take it to a shop and don't think that it'd even be worth the money. Help!

WHen you noticed the IO error, do you remember seeing what the IO error pertained to? I know you can't possible check the logs or take a screenshot since the iBook is having problems, but is it possible that you could take a picture of the screen in verbose mode and attach it here in the thread so we can have a look? Somehow I have a feeling that it might be either RAM or hard drive issues, but I'm just speculating at the moment. Knowing what the IO error pertained to from the verbose mode bootup can help us pinpoint the problem.

Back