ibook g4

HoMiNeS

Registered
hi all

this is my fist post and hope you guys can solve my problems

I had buy a ibook g4 in second hand and the seller dont have the mac ox system cd.

the mac when start it stay frezzes in the loading menu with the gray apple and the spinning thing!

the other problem is when i do the fsck in the single mode and it finally enters mac ox it freezes all the time.

another problem is some times the screen turns black and says that i have to restart the machine!

and last but not least my ibook dont read audio cds if the disc have data like video clips it open the video clips but if the cd is only songs it say that the mac cant read that cd!

please help me...! Ty by the way!

Have you tried booting into Safe Boot mode? AFter you hear the Macintosh boot chime, hold down the Shift key. Then try and see if you can create a new user with administrative privileges. Once created, log in to that user account as normal and see if the problems go away.

BTW, when you went into Single User Mode, did you do "/sbin/fsck -yf"? You need that "f" at the end so that it fixes the errors regardless if the drive was unmounted cleanly or not.

Also, press this person about getting the install CDs. The iBook should have come with install and restore CDs that were specifically for it. Otherwise, it looks as though you're going to have to buy a set of Install CDs or DVDs (Tiger). If you can spring for Tiger, get it, but Panther (10.3) is just as good and probably cheaper now.

you could also try to reset the pmu (hold shift-ctrl-alt and press the powerbutton for 1 second), or reset the pram:
"
1. Locate the keys Command, Option, P, and R.

2. Make sure the Caps Lock key is not down.

3. Restart your Macintosh (using the Command, Control, and Power keys or the reset button, if necessary).
Immediately after hearing the startup sound, press the Command, Option, P, and R keys simultaneously. If you don't hold down the key combination within 5 and 10 seconds after you restart, you may need to repeat steps 1 through 3.

4. Hold down the keys until you hear the startup sound again.

5. If the computer shuts itself off, press the Power key to turn it back on.

6. When the computer has finished starting up, restore any custom control panel and network settings."

If all else fails you'll need to get a copy of the OS install CD, do a full format and install a fresh copy. If it still freezes, it's a hardware problem.

Back