iBook G4?

Originally posted by vanguard
Hmm, you seem to have a lot of agreement on this board but sadly your post is mostly fact free. Let me try and clear up some errors:

The G4 is faster even if the app isn't optimized for Altivec. Here's why:

Integer operations: The G3 is capable of executing three integer operations per clock cycle. The G4 is capable of 4 integer operations per clock cycle. Most of your general computing tasks are integer operations.

Of course, for floating point operations the Altivec unit kicks in and the difference is even more extreme. The G3 is capable of executing one fp operation per clock cycle. The G4 is capable of executing 4 32bit fp operations or 2 64 bit fp operations per clock. This information is all available in whitepapers provided by the CPU manufacturers. I sometimes read them to keep current with what's going on.

And here's why you're wrong.

http://www.barefeats.com/emac.html

The 700MHz G3 beat the 700MHz G4 in two non Altivec optimized apps. You stick to your whitepapers, I'll stick to real world benchmarks and applications. :rolleyes:

As for SMP, I'm not sure if the G3 supports it. It takes more than just an advanced motherboard to do SMP well.

Really it shouldn't be. The G3 and G4 aren't much different technologywise other than Altivec. I don't think there are magical transistors in the G4 that make them SMP compatible and if there are, it shouldn't be that hard to add them to the G3. People used to say the Celeron would never work with SMP. That was until someone released SMP Celeron motherboards. If there's a will (which Apple has not with the G3 unfortunately), there's a way. :)

The fan on my iBook runs everytime I open it. I figured that was normal.

I'd say something is wrong with your iBook and have it looked at my an AppleCare technician. My iBook 800 has only had the fan come on twice in 36 days.

Finally, I'm glad you mentioned that the G3 is a lot cheaper than the G4. Can you tell me what the prices for these CPUs are when purchased in bulk? I'm only guessing but I bet it's within $50. I stayed away from mentioning price in my post because I don't have the facts.

Finally, I'm glad you you brought this up. While I don't know what the cost of G3s and G4s are in bulk from the manufacture, I do know as a consumer, the end cost of a G3 compared to a G4 is considerably lower. Read 'em and weep.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/pricelist.html

http://www.powerlogix.com/products2/pricing/index.html

BTW, you probably didn't mean it as an insult but Apple is incapable of conditioning me to think that one CPU is better or worse than another. When you write to strangers on the net you should probably consider that they might be well schooled in the topics they post on.

Vanguard

Maybe not Apple but I'd stay away from those whitepapers for awhile. ;)

(I've changed the thread's title and icon to minimize the shock of G3 iBook owners.)

itanium,

You're really off target here. As I look at your link it even offers an explanation. The G3 was configured with a larger L2 cache. The actual truth is that the G3 needs an extra advantage to compete with the G4. (My mind wanders to a Quiznos commercial where they use a blowdart to get a woman to choose the untoasted sub). On a level playing field the G3 is slower than the G4.

As for your consumer prices, they typically don't have much in common with bulk purchase prices. For that reason, the links you provided with consumer prices are not relevant.

Finally, regarding SMP, your "where there is a will there is a way" and your "magical transitors" arguments imply that have more to learn about CPU design (then again, doesn't everybody?). It's difficult to design chips that can maintain cache coherency without spending all of their cycles doing it. If the G3 wasn't designed to do it, than it will not do it well without a lot of redesign. On the other hand, you can build a motherboard that handles all the trouble on behalf of the chip but it will be a slow piece of junk. Truthfully, I don't know how easily it can be used in an SMP configuration. However, given that it's never been done I'd bet that it wasn't designed for it.

Vanguard

PS I made a great effort not to stoop to your level of personal attack. ("read 'em and weep" nonsense) I hope you set a better example in the future.

well... the PowerPC 603 (G2 low end) wasn't designed for MP, either. Still Be built the BeBox with those processors instead of the (available and MP-capable) 604 processors. but it's not gonna happen because of marketing anyway. the G3 is very, very old now. please let's look forward. why do a dual G3 at 1.5 GHz if you can have a dual G4 7457 at 1.4 GHz? wouldn't make sense. plus: there'll be the PPC 970 'soon' (late 2003). maybe better G3s would have been an option before choosing the G4, but now...

That's another good point. I was taking a class on high performance computing (I'm getting a comp sci master's degree after work) and our professor explained that the cost and complexity of building an SMP system is so high that it rarely makes sense to do it with low end processors.

On the other hand, I didn't question it at the time but it seems that as long as they will sell it makes sense to build them. Maybe the middle ground is that it doesn't make sense to buy them.

Vanguard

itanium,

You're really off target here. As I look at your link it even offers an explanation. The G3 was configured with a larger L2 cache. The actual truth is that the G3 needs an extra advantage to compete with the G4. (My mind wanders to a Quiznos commercial where they use a blowdart to get a woman to choose the untoasted sub). On a level playing field the G3 is slower than the G4.

Just like your explaination of interger operations of the G4 compared to the G3? So its ok that the G4 has an advantage over the G3 in interger operations but its not ok that the G3 has a L2 cache advantage over the G4 in the eMac and iMac? Hmm...? I would consider that since the MHz were the same in both CPUs that the level playing ground had been estab lished. Once again, in response to this statement, The G4 is faster even if the app isn't optimized for Altivec., you are incorrect. Changing your argument now doesn't change the fact.

As for your consumer prices, they typically don't have much in common with bulk purchase prices. For that reason, the links you provided with consumer prices are not relevant.

Since I don't buy CPUs in bulk and I'll take a wild guess and assume neither do you, then I would consider the bulk cost of G3s and G4s irrelevant. What I do consider relevant is that a single G3 of the same MHz is cheaper than a single G4 and this has been proven. Also, if a G3 can keep up with a G4 in non Altivec operations at the same MHz which has also been proven, then I as a consumer may find purchasing a G3 Mac for several hundered dollars less to my advantage.

Finally, regarding SMP, your "where there is a will there is a way" and your "magical transitors" arguments imply that have more to learn about CPU design (then again, doesn't everybody?). It's difficult to design chips that can maintain cache coherency without spending all of their cycles doing it. If the G3 wasn't designed to do it, than it will not do it well without a lot of redesign. On the other hand, you can build a motherboard that handles all the trouble on behalf of the chip but it will be a slow piece of junk. Truthfully, I don't know how easily it can be used in an SMP configuration. However, given that it's never been done I'd bet that it wasn't designed for it.

Vanguard

The G3 and G4 aren't that much different other than Altivec according to the website below.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8G4/G4vsG3.html

MPC7400's core is essentially the same as the MPC750's...

Of course, this is the original G4 but as it evolved, why couldn't have the G3? I don't know how much redesign would be necessary but since you yourself "don't know", I hardly see how you can say it would take "a lot." You should heed your own advice and stay away from making false assumptions when you just "don't know."

PS I made a great effort not to stoop to your level of personal attack. ("read 'em and weep" nonsense) I hope you set a better example in the future.

That's very nice of you but I would consider the following personal attacks.

...but sadly your post is mostly fact free.

...might not been an modarator butt I'm no dummy.

PS I reread my post and it sounded kind of like a flame. It wasn't meant to attack...

When you yourself have to point out that your post isn't a flame or attack, one has to wonder. Also, what me being a Moderator in a different forum has to do with any of this is anyone's guess.

For future reference, unless I quote you, I'm not responding to you. My original post wasn't in response to you personally, it was in response to this thread as a whole. You for whatever reason just took it personally.

itanium,

The cache size is a configuration (set by apple), the number of integer operations that can be performed in a clock cycle is part of the core chip design. What if I configured a machine with more ram and declared it to be faster than a machine with a higher clock rate? It could be true but it would be a lousy way to compare their CPUs.

Apple buys in bulk. If I only buy through them. That's why only the bulk prices are relevant. My line of thinking goes like this; if the bulk pricing between the chips is $50 more for a G4 then the price difference between the machines only needs to be $50. I suspect that is the case and I'm guessing you already figured that out.

Regarding the idea that this is some kind of flame fest, it's really not. Neither one of us has called each other names or resorted to personal attacks. I take back my comment about "stoop to your level". We've both displayed even amounts of disagreement and we've been more or less polite. (I won't edit my original post because it feels like editing history is a weak action. Instead, I'll leave this apology in place.)

Finally, I don't see how you can read the article that you linked in ( http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8G4/G4vsG3.html )and come away thinking that the chips are about the same. If anybody else is reading this thread, the article is pretty good. Here's a quote:

MPC7400 supports the 60x bus used by the MPC750, but it also supports a new bus (MPX bus). It implements a 5-state cache-coherency protocol (MERSI) and the MESI and MEI subsets. This provides better hardware support of multiprocessing.

There's your "magic transitor". They confirmed my guess that the G3 wasn't built for SMP.

You seem like a good guy and a computer enthusiast. However, you're just off target on the idea that clock for clock the G3 and G4 are equivalent.

Vanguard

Think they want to keep the prices of the iBook down by using "cheaper" parts. Simple as that... so that students can afford them. So I think for now, until G5 is out, G4 iBooks will not be a reality. Unless Apple can keep the prices of the G4 Chips down.

If Apple can put the G4 in the iBook and still break the $1000 barrier, then that's all for the better. However, one knows that's just wishful thinking.

So if one wants a portable with the G4, just go buy a PowerBook. The iBook is intended for the more value-minded consumer/student anyhow. Pricing is key.

My PowerBook G4 667 would get so hot, I couldn't use it on my lap for more than 30 minutes. I'd rather not relive that with my iBook.

Originally posted by Vyper
You can't only install OS X on G4s.
Why not? My Cube has only OS X on it, as I wiped the drive for 10.1, and while I have OS 9 on my external drive, I did not need it for installation (it was not plugged in). The only thing I can think of for being unable to only install OS X on a G4 is if it is an older one and needs a firmware update. Even then, I'm not so sure.

Guess everybody ignored that comment at first, sheepguy42.

Facts are: You can set up a Mac OS X only machine since day one of Mac OS X, it never needed OS 9 (or lower) in order to run properly.

Installing only OS X also works for the beige G3s, the oldest machines that allow running OS X officially.

Btw., my TiBook 500 is OSX-only, too.

The fan on my iBook runs everytime I open it. I figured that was normal.

Hey Vanguard,

I used to have an iBook 500 and the fan rarely came on! I used it all the time, and the fan came on probably only 3% of the time - even when it was under heavy load. Maybe you should get it checked out?

But there will be a day soon that you can NOT install OS 9 on -new- macs. This will be for -new- machines only, not some firmware upgrade that kills off 9 in the mac you already have.

Originally posted by phatsharpie
Hey Vanguard,

I used to have an iBook 500 and the fan rarely came on! I used it all the time, and the fan came on probably only 3% of the time - even when it was under heavy load. Maybe you should get it checked out?

What if I'm past the one year warranty?

Vanguard

you could see if you can get the processor glued to the heatsink with some good thermal paste maybe. Other than that, I think maybe you have a flaky thermal sensor?

And I'll take a G3 laptop over a G4 laptop anyday. And I have a TiBook. Battery life, heat tolerance, low cost. It rocks. At the same time, I love my dual 450 desktop.

Back