iBook Logic Board issue?

foehn

Registered
hello,

i have a 12" G3 iBook, and it's giving me a hard time right now. in the past couple of days, it's been acting weird: kernel panics every now and then, it freezes.... and there's something wrong w/ the display. today, every time i turn it on, it runs w/ a blank screen..............

so, i went to the apple support site (using my roomie's computer, of course!), and i found out about the "logic board repair extension program". well, SURPRISE! my computer is one of those that apply for the program.

my question would be: is there anything i could do before sending my baby away from me?? or anything i can do to -at least- backup my important stuff??

i'd really appreciate if you could let me know.

thank you.

Do you have an ohter mac in there? You could connect your ibook to the other mac in target mode (hold apple and t keys while booting up, the ibook connected to the other mac with firewire cable) and save everything just in case.

I had once the logic board replaced in the ibook I had - they did not replace the hard drive or at least no files etc seemed to be missing. But still - a backup sure would not hurt .. Hey, welcome to macosx.com ;)

no other macs here. but thanx for the advice. today is not a good apple day for me. first, this. and now- i ordered a mini a WHILE ago. apple sent me an email on monday offering a 15GB ipod instead of the mini b/c of the demand. so, i said yes. they emailed me today telling me that the mini just shipped, so they can't changed my order!! well........... actually........... i kinda wanted the mini more anyway...... ::angel::

anyway, may i ask how long did it take apple to replace the logic board? if i take it to an apple store, would it be quicker??

thank you. :)

Giaguara said:
Do you have an ohter mac in there? You could connect your ibook to the other mac in target mode (hold apple and t keys while booting up, the ibook connected to the other mac with firewire cable) and save everything just in case.

I had once the logic board replaced in the ibook I had - they did not replace the hard drive or at least no files etc seemed to be missing. But still - a backup sure would not hurt .. Hey, welcome to macosx.com ;)

It may be faster if you take it to the Apple Store. I had my replaced when I was in Italy. It took 10 days to get it back - I took it to the service friday, and got it back Monday 10 days after, so 1 week and 2 weekedns ... in Europe they had to send it to Holland to fix it there, so I consider it pretty fast service.

What color you got for the iPod mini? :)

ok thanx.

GREEN!!!

(you know what sux tho? if i take the iBook for repair, i'll receive the mini and i won't be able to use it right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I had a similar problem with my 12" iBook G3 800Mhz last fall, and I took it in to the Apple Store after the folks on this forum helped me to identify the problem as something I couldn't fix with pluck and a tiny screwdriver. Apple replaced the logic board without a fuss; including the trip my iBook took to Holland, the entire affair took 6 business days. They even shipped it to my office direct, which was a nice touch. ;)

Back