iBook making 'popping' noise!!!

iMan

?¿?
Hi all,

I got an iBook 800mhz, cd-rom, airport card etc for my wife a couple of weeks ago but when it's running on battery it makes a popping sound!
Has anyone experienced this before?
It's been doing it from the start and at first I thought it was the speakers, but I'm not to sure that's the source of the sound. And it's only when on battery not when it's plugged in.
I also noted just now that the battery just show 96% charged and not 100%, any thought on that?
Thank full for all answers

Viktor

oh, by the way we did get Apple care so we're set. I just have to get my lazy bum over to the apple store, don't feel like sending it to them.;)

God, hulkaros... I think I would hate you if you would be my prof. Throwing around with articles... oh my! ;) :D

Thanks a lot Zammy-Sam and Hulkaros.
Much appreciated :)

I did update the OS to 10.2.8 lastnight so I'll see today if the popping noise has gone away.
I'll report back after I've used it for a bit.
The last link you gave me Hulakros gave me a 'page not found' error.
Thanks again

Viktor

Hmm.. just did a search on apple support and the article that you link was pointing at exist as a link there but only give's an error page not found.
So you had the right url

Viktor

Take your iBook out of the microwave, and it should stop popping. (Sorry... :D)

Apple removed the 10.2.8 update because it cause as many problems as it fixed on some machines. You'll have to wait a little bit until you can get it again (probably at 10.2.8.1 or something).

i have a similar problem with my powerbook (G4 550). A guaranteed way to make it do it is to manually check for software updates. Every time the blue bar advances a really high pitch 'squeak' can be heard. 10.2.8 has not fixed this for me. It seems to only do it the first time, but the 2nd and 3rd time it is much fainter.

God knows what this noise is, it still seems to do it with the volume muted.

Your computer actually came with a mouse as well as a trackpad... and it really wants to escape! :rolleyes:

Weird problems. I dunno...

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
God, hulkaros... I think I would hate you if you would be my prof. Throwing around with articles... oh my! ;) :D

Actually, my 2nd job is as a teacher in Wintels! :D

There I'm not THAT nasty :p

I'm usually nastier ;)

:D :)

I haven't had time to really try the iBook out yet, but I'll get back to you about that.

Viktor

*drums fingers on desk*
*sighs*
*contemplates another 90 meg update on an international 56k connection*
*hopes to hear from iMan soon*

Originally posted by hulkaros
Actually, my 2nd job is as a teacher in Wintels! :D

There I'm not THAT nasty :p

I'm usually nastier ;)

:D :)

i think you would do well to consider a career in higher education. Come Join the fun!:D

It seems like it's gone away. :D Great, that saved me a trip to the Apple store.

Thanks lads :)

Viktor

Good to hear that the noise is gone. I have that issue plus a few more with my 700 iBook. Now just have to wait for the update to appear again.

Right now there is a series of security patches on swupdate but I doubt that they are the solution.

Hope it comes soon

Back