iBook modem problems

kreiggers

Registered
I have a 2001 500Mhz iBook running 10.1.2 There seems to be a problem with using the internal modem. If I select 'Connect' from the modem status menu in the menubar or if I open Internet Conenct first then click 'Connect' there is a delay of 20-40 seconds where my iBook becomes totally non-responsive before the modem begins to dial. The mouse pointer can be moved but it skips and won't for example register clicks or show the hidden dock until the modem starts dialing. About one in ten connections results in the modem dialing immediately without freezing the system. Once the modem starts dialing (ie the status icon animates and etc) the system comes back and everything starts to work normally again.

Any ideas on what is going wrong or how to fix it?

I too have a 2001 iBook 500MHz, and its modem does seem to act up at times. Specifically, after the iBook awakes from sleep and I try to connect using the modem, the mouse gets "sticky" and I get the "twirling rainbow" for a long time. This seems to be a common problem with iBook 500 and OS X (along with the silent modem issue). One thing that seems to work for me at times, is to not connect using the modem right after the iBook awakes from sleep. Instead, I try opening a couple of finder windows, etc., before I connect. Maybe I am just fooling myself, but it seems to alleviate the problem.

-B

Same iBook, same problem...
I don't know why but it seems to do it less often recently... I noticed it is more prone to do it when you try to connect right after you log in your session. Is Apple aware of that problem ?

Hmmmm...now that you mention Apple, I checked their support articles but didn't find anything. Anyone know of an easy way of leting them know of the issue (I'm sure they probably do, but for my peace of mind), I think I'm past my initial 90 support period and don't have Applecare...

I've had this problem as well, but I haven't been able to find any fixes for it, from Apple or elsewhere. In fact, this is the first thread I've found about it anywhere, I had assumed up until now that there was some minor problem with my particular modem. I keep expecting to see a firmware update, or for it to go away after an OSX update, but nothing yet.

As others have said, it almost always happens after waking from sleep, but I've also had it happen after my iBook has sat idle for awhile without sleeping. Once or twice it completely locked up the system.

It's frustrating, but not unbearable. It would be nice to hear from Apple about it though, even if it's just to confirm that it's un-fixable.

Gregg

It seems that someone has fixed the problem. I was checking http://appleturns.com/ and they had a story a couple of days ago (check the archives) about a kid who had worked on a fix and solved it.. however there was no link to a patch on the sit or the kids site. He was working with some Apple people so hopefully it will be coming out as part of an update sometime soon.

Back